Help! Urgent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edco76

Reaction score
Hey guys. I gots a lil problem here. I just made some lye solution for a batch I am making later. All of my lye didnt dissolve? I stirred the crap out of it and am using the same brand lye I alway use and havent had this problem before. I would guess there is a 1/4 tsp. of undissolved lye floating around on the top of my water? What do I do? I dont want it to ruin my soap. Can I just spoon it out? or will it work out with the hand mixer, or did I do something wrong. Any advise would be appreciated.

Are you using all water?

My thoughts are that if you are adding other liquids to the oils, and making up just enough water / lye to meet the recipe, you may have reached the saturation point of the water.

Say as if you were adding salt to water. Only so much salt will disolve. If you keep adding more, it won't disolve.

Otherwise, you probably have a bad batch of lye, or a chunk of something foreign in it. If you filter out the solid, you'll need to weigh it and re add that amount.

If you just have some "floaters" it could be either hard water minerals somehow coming out of solution or it could be that there was some oily residue on our spoon or the container in which you mixed your solution (which then saponified). I used to filter the floaters out but now I just ignore them without ever seeing anything bad happen!

If it isn't just floaters (lye sinks, remember) then = gee ya got me!

Well I waited a while for it to dissolve as much as it would (guess I picked a good time for my first batch of room temp soap) then just spooned the few lil globs out. The soap turned out perfect. Thanks for all of your help.

Latest posts

Back