HELP URGENT!! Liquid soap problem and it’s “cooking” now!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarsRUs

Reaction score
Oh boy I made a big mistake!! I am an experienced soap maker both bar and liquid. I was too lazy to print the recipe for my soap (made a little adjustment) so i made the recipe on my phone on soapee. Measured my fat and water correctly but my iPhone removed the recipe result when you wait too long, the site renews. So I quickly made the recipe again to find out how much lye (koh) i needed. I didn’t pay attention as it automatically set back on solid soap and not liquid so now my lye is not enough and I was already confused why my batch didn’t thicken… now I need to add 127,5 grams of lye. Can I add this to the cooking soap and mix mix mix? Or did I just waste 1,5kg of fat 😭😭 please help asap

Yes, you can definitely mix up the needed amount of KOH with an equal amount of water, and add that to your soap.
Thank you for your response, my soap was still very liquid in the slowcooker so I added it directly to it and thank God it’s acting the way it should and it’s cooking perfectly. Luckily the batch is saved 🙏🏼

When you say, "added directly," do you mean that you added undissolved KOH flakes to the soap batter? That is very dangerous since KOH must be fully dissolved first. Otherwise, you can end up with undissolved bits of KOH in your paste. Hopefully those KOH bits would dissolve later during dilution, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

I've added solid KOH to soap paste and diluted liquid soap, so I know this can be done without too much trouble. That said, when I do this, I'm only adding a few grams of alkali to tweak the superfat content, not a large amount.

Adding 100+ grams of KOH is a lot. I'd say it's likely there might not be enough water already in the soap paste to allow solid alkali to dissolve properly. In this case, I'd follow the advice @AliOop gave to dilute the KOH first in an equal weight of water (or more) and then add this lye solution to the soap paste.

Back