Help!!! Unmolding soap from pvc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetBubbleTreat

Reaction score
I made a huge mistake.... I decided to make shave soap in 2" pic pipe...2 pounds of it in one pipe...UNLINED....now my soap will not come out!!! It's been in the mold for 3 days and now it's in my deep freezer freezing.....

Should I heat the pipe after the soap is frozen or just wait a couple more days or just realize I mucked up and throw the whole thing out??? So frustrated!!!!

Once its froze really hard, run the pipe under some really hot water then find something you can use for a push stick. I generally use a can of soup but I think your pipe is too small. I set the push stick(can) on the table then push the pipe down onto it, the soap should eventually give and start to slide out. You might be able to find 1.5 inch dowel to use for a pusher.

Good luck:) I've found that cutting a piece of thick plastic, like the top from a margarine tub to fit between the soap and push stick helps the soap from getting smooshed.

Oh thank you so much for that tip....
I feel so dumb that I didn't line it but I did spray the inside of pipe with Pam spray....thought that would be enough....boy was I totally not thinking right on that one...lol well I guess this is why they say "you soap and you learn" right?? Lol

just wait longer and eventually the soap will shrink

hopefully

lol

cut a piece of wood the size of the hole and use that to press against

You can't grease a mold with oil that will saponify, it acts like glue. I use Vaseline to greasy my PVC, works pretty good and doesn't leave wrinkles like paper can.

Now I really feel dumb why didn't I think about Pam saponifying?? Duh me!! Well I guess I'm gonna get a liner or give up the 2inch shave soaps lol

i have heard a number of people say they use pam in pipes or in other types of molds.

pam has a high amount of gasoline products in it, so it might work

lining a pipe is easy, just get some parchment paper or freezer paper and make sure its long enough. just put it in the pipe and it will hold itself in place....no need to tape it or anything. if it doesnt stay in place, flip it around the other way.....rolled paper wants to roll back up, so put in in the opposite way in the tube and it will hold itself open. dont use wax paper or you will get nasty cheap wax on your soap

I used parchment paper to line pvc pipe. Its been two days. I did not put in freezer,as it is very long to fit into it..i somehow kept it in the fridge for 4 hours,its still not comming out. When i try to pull the paper it is tearing apart and is wet. How did you use heat gun? Did you use it in place of hot water? Did it work?

I tried the heat gun method. After taking it out from fridge i used heat gun on the pipe,then pushed it hard..my whole hand went inside the pipe,but finally it came out.. only soap came out,parchment paper stuck in the pipe as it is. Today when i took out the paper i noticed that soap leaked from some place,which caused trouble. Though it had many lines and rough texture,it is looking ok after cutting.

I only tried the PVC pipe mold once. I read online somewhere (don't you love that?) That you didn't have to line or anything. Boy, was I wrong. That soap is still sitting in the mold. Its been 4 years or more. I am throwing it away when I get home.

Don't feel bad people! I did it too! I bet tons of people have done the same or similar thing!

Exactly! I think you must cut the pipe after waiting for sooooo long.. i was thinking of cutting the pipe in just two days.

I don't have the tools to cut it open, but now you have me curious too. I am unfortunately, not at home until I am unsure when. But I'll see when I get there what to do about the ancient soap.

I don't have the tools to cut it open, but now you have me curious too. I am unfortunately, not at home until I am unsure when. But I'll see when I get there what to do about the ancient soap.

You can cut PVC with a simple hand saw. I've cut PVC with manual trim saws (a wee little bitty hand saw).

-Dave

Back