Help troubleshooting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hinata

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Please see images below to help me troubleshoot. Essentially I got this areas off dark spots that collapsed in slightly. The first week it was the same color as the rest of the soap and only after curing for some time I just saw the dark spots today develop.

My recipe was at least 50% liquid oils (olive, sweet almond, avocado) plus the 5% castor. I wanted a really light trace to assure the batter gets in the mold to take up the delicate design of the mold which a thicker trace may not achieve.

I used a fragrance oil, English garden from candlescience, which was supposed to cause moderate acceleration. So what I did was blend everything together. At the lightest trace I added my fragrance oil and no longer stick blended. I only hand stirred with a spatula and I saw clumps forming. Not small like rice. But proper size little lumps like 0.5cm x 0.25cm. Is this ricing? Anyho so I know I had two choices. Whip out the stick blender and attempt to smooth it out but risk the batter turning so thick that it wont take up the delicate imprints of the mold. Or hand stir conservatively and get the batter in the mold and pray the small lumps somehow smoothes out— which is what I did. Now I see dark spots in my soap.
Were the lumps predominantly lye or oil or fragrance oil? Naturally the first question is to identify what it is to determine if the soap is safe. And secondly, what would you have done? Just keep stickblending it? Would having a higher water or superfat helped? Or is this just the fragrance oil misbehaving?

Attachments

• DBEC638F-1A43-4788-846C-533FEAF1F4DE.jpeg
    DBEC638F-1A43-4788-846C-533FEAF1F4DE.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 29
  • D83D100C-8825-4C77-A192-4AE96B7A8040.jpeg
    D83D100C-8825-4C77-A192-4AE96B7A8040.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 30
  • 52D45661-72BB-4806-85EA-AFE2FDFD0471.jpeg
    52D45661-72BB-4806-85EA-AFE2FDFD0471.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 29
Every review of that FO that applies to CO soap says it accelerates a lot or rices. I wouldn’t use it again in CP soap. It looks like the FO wasn’t fully incorporated into the soap.

Personally, I’d confetti it and make another soap and keep the FO for candles.

Sorry for delayed response.
So this is the FO so no need to worry about it being lye heavy then.

this was a floral soap which is notorious for forming beads. What am I supposed to change to avoid this next time if I want to make a floral soap. More liquid oil concentration or more water? Mix the FO with some oil? Add it before or after a light trace? Please advise!

If you want to make a floral scented soap, going by what the very experienced ladies have said, your best bet might be to try a different fragrance. A lot of florals cause problems. I have used Persephone's Kiss from Nurture several times with no problem, and even friends who have said they hate florals have asked me to make them some bars.

I will learn in time which FO behaves and which doesn't. But this is all part of the fun.. never knowing what to expect!

I'm checking out Candle Science and so far, it does look like they are trying to find which FOs are CP safe. So I'm going to say try this again but invest in a whisk (plastic or silicone) that you can devote to soap making. Stirring things does not always incorporate certain ingredients when a spoon or a spatula is used. the surface area of those items won't cut the mustard if a thicker trace is reached.

Latest posts

Back