Help troubleshooting please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am working on making a good Castillo soap. It works well and it is nice and creamy. But the bars have developed a weird white layer. Can anyone give me some advide on what I am doing wrong? I used soapcalc to get the recipe right, then blended the heck out of it with an immersion blender. Seems to trace fine and came out of the mold looking good, but over the next 3 months, the white layer formed as shown in the picture. And also, what are the brown streaks?
i appreciate any guidance.

Regards,

Sam
7A35310C-5B5F-4377-AE8C-968BA950B0F2.jpeg
7A35310C-5B5F-4377-AE8C-968BA950B0F2.jpeg

Hello,

I am working on making a good Castillo soap. It works well and it is nice and creamy. But the bars have developed a weird white layer. Can anyone give me some advide on what I am doing wrong? I used soapcalc to get the recipe right, then blended the heck out of it with an immersion blender. Seems to trace fine and came out of the mold looking good, but over the next 3 months, the white layer formed as shown in the picture. And also, what are the brown streaks?

Regards,

Sam
View attachment 48084View attachment 48084
Hello,

Regards,

Sam
View attachment 48084View attachment 48084
Soda ash (sodium carbonate) is from the unreacted lye (NaOH) reacting with the carbon dioxide in the air (CO2). Ways to prevent it: 1-Lower your water, 2-Pour at a thicker trace, 3-Cover the soap until it has fully saponified, up to 48 hours.

Soda ash (sodium carbonate) is from the unreacted lye (NaOH) reacting with the carbon dioxide in the air (CO2). Ways to prevent it: 1-Lower your water, 2-Pour at a thicker trace, 3-Cover the soap until it has fully saponified, up to 48 hours.
Thank you for the helpful reply! I will try the next batch this weekend. I am an olive oil producer and am trying to find a way to use my excess oil...

Back