Help! Top topics for new soap makers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like any search engine, it's how you use it. Using just the words salt bar as you did turns up any post with the word salt, bar or even part of the word is in the "bartender" threads. Putting salt bar into quotations "salt bar" will yield better results.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/search/8156963/?q="salt+bar"&o=date
View attachment 41877

Using quotations and a finer wording yields fewer results: "how to make salt bar"
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/search/8157517/?q="how+to+make+salt+bar"&o=date
but not necessarily with better results. Sometimes finding the right phrasing is key.
Yes, refining the search with quotes and the right key words helps, but beginners are beginners. What I'm trying to do is share the perspectives I have as a 6 month old member who knew very little when I joined the forum in April 2019.

All of the following topics are scattered throughout the forum here and there, but I admit it sure wouldn't hurt to have them consolidated into a one-stop, easy "Getting Started" place for beginners:

Basic Supplies To Buy
Safety Precautions
How To Formulate A Soap Recipe
Basic Step-By-Step Soaping Procedure from Beginning to End
Saponification vs Cure
All About Emulsification and The Different Stages of Trace
Additives: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
How To Master-batch
CP vs HP
To Gel or Not to Gel?
FO's vs EO's
How best to use a Stickblender/When not to use a stickblender, but to hand-stir instead
Common Problems You May Run Into and Their Solutions
Soaping Temps: When taking temps matter, and when it doesn't

IrishLass :)

I spent several months researching and reading (non-stop/literally 8-10 hours straight) before I bought supplies and made my 1st soap. Your list is covers most of what I searched for; I wanted to be successful so I read, READ, and R-E-A-D all I could. This forum is one in which I consulted for a lot of my research--love this forum!!! I love reading and it's easy for hours to pass and it seem like 30 minutes, lol.

Some of these are going to be repetitive for the pinned threads. A Ten Commandments for New Soapers would be a nice article combining these perhaps?

How to test for acceleration in fragrance oils you've never used before.

More isn't better, using limited numbers of ingredients to achieve a great product.

Fatty acid profiles, what each means and how it affects your finished product.

Testing your bars, what you feel in the end result, and how you can change that.

How to stock your fragrance oil rack, and colorants. Easing into the hobby with the most bang for your buck.

and because it seems to be so prevalent:

Thinking of selling in your first year of soap making? 1. Don't. 2. See #1. Let's show you why...
How can i read these? I'm a newbie here. :)

How can i read these? I'm a newbie here. :)

These are not available to read, they are only suggestions from the members, for topics for newbies. You can do a search on the forum for some of the things listed, such as the selling.

Latest posts

Back