HELP ---Too much lye in the water - now hardened to container!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BARJRD

Reaction score
When making soap today, I somehow weighed the water incorrectly. When I poured in the lye, it was thick --- like porridge. I knew I had messed up so I set the container aside and measured a new batch of lye water in another container. A couple of hours later when I was cleaning up, I realized that the lye in the first container had hardened to the bottom of the container, with just a little bit of water floating on top.

How do I dispose of it? I don't mind throwing away the container. Can I pour vinegar into the lye? I know I can't pour water into the lye.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Barb

The lye won't react if I pour water/vinegar into it?

What should I do with the diluted solution?

The lye & water/vinegar mix will most likely get very warm. But that's about it. Just don't spill any on yourself.

If you usually rinse out your lye solution container in your sink, then you can most likely just pour that in your sink as well. Or wherever you clean out your lye solution container.

I would put it down my sink - wonderful drain cleaner. As long as you're not on a septic system. Just as a Did You Know - drain cleaner is lye...

Thanks, Lindy... that is exactly what I did. Also, I suited up with mask and gloves but there was no adverse reaction from adding vinegar to the lye (I added straight vinegar). It took appr 5 minutes for the hardened lye to break off and dissolve, but all is well now!

Actually vinegar neutralizes the lye so it won't have cleaned the drain, but it is still a good way of disposing of it :D

Latest posts

Back