Help! Too much color - leeching out

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sholdy

Reaction score
I put in too much dye - synthetic indigo, and now the soap, which was in the mold for 24 hours, is bleeding dye!

Is there a fix for this?

(My hands are blue from handling it) LoL

Yes, new to this. :oops:

wrap it in paper and change them until all of the excess is wicked into the paper towels?? that might work?

By the time I got your suggestion, Ian, I had the whole batch chopped up and in the oven. :lol:

I figured that, since there was separation of a sort, that perhaps there hadn't been enough heat. So I added a little water, heated the batch at around 200 for quite some time. I'm not sure how long, though, because we had to turn it all off to go to my grandson's birthday party and resumed after we got home.

After probably a couple of hours I took it out, packed it back into the molds and let it cool.

When it was cooled, I cut it into bars and there was no leeching The bars were all uniformly dark (very dark!) blue. Since it was not a sort of hot process batch, I took a bath with a small bar to test it out.

Very blue lather, but it rinsed away easily. Now I think the only problem with this soap is going to be the mess it leaves in the soap dish!

well glad to hear that it worked out ok! thats all that matters in the end!! Glad it didnt go to waste! and happy Bday to your Grandson!

Latest posts

Back