help! too high temperature result in liquefy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiangpozi

Reaction score
hello, today I've met with a problem which never happened before. I made a potato soap, it was perfect in every respect before I poured it into the mold. But soon after it is in the mold, it turned to jelly, and then liquefied. oil seems to be separated in the middle of the mold while on the edge the soap is harden already. I know it is resulted from the high room temperature as the weather is so hot today. some small portion of this batch left in the small thin mold was harden quite well. but most of them in the big mold wasn't so lucky.
does anyone know what can I do to rescue the liquefied soap? It is 2kgs, I really don't want to throw them away!

Try the crockpot on low, or make a double boiler and gently heat until all is emulsified and looks like vaseline.

Potato soap? Can you post your recipe?
hi,the coconut and palm percentage is nearly eighty as I was to make a household soap for cleaning purpose. It was said that potato can give extra cleaning. however I think there is no problem with the recipe as I use a soap calculator as usual, I guess the problem is because of the starch in the potato. I not only squeezed the potato but also put all the dregs of the potato in the soap when traced.

Try the crockpot on low, or make a double boiler and gently heat until all is emulsified and looks like vaseline.

I did so just now before I saw your reply as I really can't wait anymore, the edge is harden and harden while the middle is oil, so I must mix them again ASAP. but I didn't cook it until vaseline. it is more like malt sugar or paste, very sticky, I put them (cannot say pour) in the mold again and sink the mold in cool water. It is still soft now, I pray it will be OK.

It's called the 'zap test', where you check to see if the lye has been neutralized. Touch the tip of your tongue to the soap and if it feels like you've touched a 9 volt battery then your soap needs to be rebatched. If it doesn't 'zap' then it's okay.

Just know that the saponification can continue for a few days depending on the way they were made. Give it a few days before you test. Don't rebatch to soon.

Potato water may be OK in soap but I would be a little worried that actual "pieces" of potato in there might go bad. Keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
Just know that the saponification can continue for a few days depending on the way they were made. Give it a few days before you test. Don't rebatch to soon.

Potato water may be OK in soap but I would be a little worried that actual "pieces" of potato in there might go bad. Keep an eye on it.

thanks for your reply! I rebatched it because it was totally liquified,like oil. I did't see any hope. But now I think Maybe you are right, I should have waited to see what would happen finally. I remembered that I've met with such kind of situation before, after I poured the soap into the mold, the high temp. made the soap paste clear in the middle,when I pressed its surface, I felt I broke a shell, and under it, it's liquid. But finally the soap came out quite good.

But I do hope that if anyone encountered this kind of case, share with us what you've done.

Back