HELP! Stearic Acid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystery12974

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a question. I was in the process of making soap this weekend and was in a hurry (lesson learned) I accidentally pour my unmelted stearic acid into my recipe without melting it first. I was sooooooo upset once I realized what I did. Can anyone tell me if the soap is good to use, without the stearic acid being melted? I hate to throw it out if I can still use it. Thank you in advance.

SA melts at 156 F or so. If you gelled it probably got that hot. It won't be nicely incorporated and you could have white spots. If it's zap free then it's likely going to be fine to use, but it won't be what you planned.

Thanks everyone! I did not cut it yet, when I felt it this morning before leaving for work, it was hard as a rock! I can see the stearic acid flakes in the soap, it just does not look good. Btw: I used the cold process method. Again thank you. I am new to soap making (a few months) and I learned never to be in a hurry when making soap! It can by a costly mistake if not done properly.

If you should have to rebatch, just grate the soap or cut it up in fine pieces. Put them in an old slow cooker with a little water and cook on low until everything is melted together. I usually stir several times during the process. Here is a link to one of my favorite rebatch recipes:

http://www.pvsoap.com/instructions_for_rebatch.htm

Warning, if you use the powdered milk, make it the really fine (instant) kind or dissolve it in a little warm water before adding to the soap. Otherwise it might make little clumps in the soap.

Back