Help sizing bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
I am having trouble deciding what size/weight to make my bars. Anyone have any suggestions

Mine are 4 x 2 x 1 I might make them thicker in the future - say 1.25

For the most part, mine are the same size as Dibbles and Shari. I have a couple of molds with different dimensions that make different size soaps than that, but my favorite size is 3.5 x 2.5 x 1.25. Everyone I gift my soap to seem to like it.

IrishLass :)

So...how many do you get from an average sized 2# loaf mold? I usually only get nine. Am I cutting them too thick? 2" is what the bumper is set at. I've thought they looked a bit chunky. But the 1" looked too stingy.

So...how many do you get from an average sized 2# loaf mold? I usually only get nine. Am I cutting them too thick? 2" is what the bumper is set at. I've thought they looked a bit chunky. But the 1" looked too stingy.

Theresa- what are the dimensions of your 2# mold? I ask because some companies that sell molds build them based on the total weight of an entire recipe, while other companies build them based only on the weight of the oils alone in one's recipe. The 2# molds that I own are the kind that are based on oil weight alone, and I can get 8 bars maximum out of them if I cut them at my favorite 1.25" thickness, or 10 bars if I cut them at 1". The dimensions of my 2 lb loaf molds are 10" x 3.5" x 2.5". If I make my cuts at 2" intervals, I would only get 5 bars.

Theresa- what are the dimensions of your 2# mold? I ask because some companies that sell molds build them based on the total weight of an entire recipe, while other companies build them based only on the weight of the oils alone in one's recipe. The 2# molds that I own are the kind that are based on oil weight alone, and I can get 8 bars maximum out of them if I cut them at my favorite 1.25" thickness, or 10 bars if I cut them at 1". The dimensions of my 2 lb loaf molds are 10" x 3.5" x 2.5". If I make my cuts at 2" intervals, I would only get 5 bars.

I just double checked. My mold is the same size as yours. I checked my soap cutter that I bought from Dianna's sundries. I do actually have it set at 1" on the bumper thing. I used to use a bread cutter before I got the soap cutter. I had to cut using every other slice slot and it was too big. But using every slot was too small. After measuring my mold and measuring the soap cutter, I remembered the bread slicer. I'm sorry for the confusion I caused. Thanks for the help. I think I'll weigh the bars of my next log when I cut it (today, maybe) and calculate the average weight of them pre-cure. Then again post-cure. Then I can do the same with the next log at the wider slice posted here and see which I end up liking better.

Latest posts

Back