Help picking a new FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I need to find a new FO for my MIL. Currently I'm using wsp rice flower and shea which she likes but I absolutely hate the stuff, smells like playdoh and baby powder.

All she has told me is she likes powdery scents that are really strong. I'm thinking more along the lines of floral or perfumy, definitely no more baby powder.

Maybe a good love spell? Not sure who has the best.
Hit me with your favorite powdery scents so I can start researching.

I recently used marshmallow sandalwood which was a bit powdery for my taste, so I added a bit of rose geranium EO, which took the powder off and made it a bit fresher. Without the rose geranium it would be perfect for your mum-in-law. Dunno who the US supplier is - maybe Nature's Garden?
I don't think Love Spell is powdery at all - more fresh/green/floral/fruit.

White Ginger & Amber from BB is one of my soap making staples. It smells smooth, sweet and possibly a tiny bit like apricot, which may be how my nose is picking up the white ginger. I’ve found that white ginger is often described as a light floral. The FO sticks for least a year, doesn’t cause acceleration in my recipes and doesn’t discolor. I’ve blended it with everything from pineapple and orange, to rose, to heavier perfume scents with good results. Perhaps you can transform her favorite scent with a little blending?

Perfumer’s World gives this definition of powdery in their glossary:
Powdery. Is an effect produced when a heavier sweet or woody note is blended with a lighter note such as citrus, fruity or light green note. Such as is obtained when mixing vanilla with lemon in a sorbet (sherbet). The powdery notes associated with Baby products are produced by mixing vanilla and balsamic notes with geranium and ylang ylang.

and for Amber. A heavy, full bodied, powdery, warm fragrance note.

When I read powdery I think of scents having a musk note. Natures garden has a Floral musk and a wild musk, which I find too floral/perfume like though and I can’t really smell the powdery notes much, but I have thought of mixing them with a baby powder FO. If you are thinking floral and perfume like though, they might fit the bill.

White Ginger & Amber from BB is one of my soap making staples. It smells smooth, sweet and possibly a tiny bit like apricot, which may be how my nose is picking up the white ginger. I’ve found that white ginger is often described as a light floral. The FO sticks for least a year, doesn’t cause acceleration in my recipes and doesn’t discolor. I’ve blended it with everything from pineapple and orange, to rose, to heavier perfume scents with good results. Perhaps you can transform her favorite scent with a little blending?

Perfumer’s World gives this definition of powdery in their glossary:
Powdery. Is an effect produced when a heavier sweet or woody note is blended with a lighter note such as citrus, fruity or light green note. Such as is obtained when mixing vanilla with lemon in a sorbet (sherbet). The powdery notes associated with Baby products are produced by mixing vanilla and balsamic notes with geranium and ylang ylang.

and for Amber. A heavy, full bodied, powdery, warm fragrance note.
I'm always afraid to try amber scents, they always seem so heavy and sweet food like. Is this one bakery at all?

I'm always afraid to try amber scents, they always seem so heavy and sweet food like. Is this one bakery at all?
I haven’t ordered any scents that have been marketed as bakery, so I’m not sure. It definitely has a sweetness, but more like apricot or a tropical fruit if that makes sense. Other scents I have that I would put in the same general sweetness range are NS 8th & Ocean, NS High Priest, and MMS Jacob. It seems less sweet compared with OT’s Caribbean Pineapple.

I'm probably not the best to advise on floral scents because I don't like a lot of them. But one that I do like and to my nose has some powdery notes is Peony Petals from Sweet Cakes. They don't list the usage rates for their FOs, but when I contacted them all of the ones I asked about were at least 6%.

Latest posts

Back