Help on understanding mixing EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherrydene soapy

Reaction score
I am very new to soap making 3 mths, I understand that the recommend usage of EO is 3%. I understand that each oil has its own usage amount on the IFRA however if mixing do I still stay within the total amount used 3% of total oils? Please could someone give me an example of how they mix EO so I can great my head round this. Happy soaping x

If you have two oils and both have a max 3% usage, you could in theory use 2.5% of each, or 3% of one and 2% of the other to get a 5% total scent weight without going over the use limit of each oil

If you have 3 and one is 1%, one is 3%, and the last is 5%, you could go 0.5, 2, 2.5 or something like that.

As long as the total amount of that particular oil does not go over the usage limits, you should be okay.

UNLESS - if the reason why a certain EO has that usage limit is shared by another oil, you might have issues if you combine them and the total amount of that particular ingredient in the eo is then too high. But as to how common that might be......I can't say

If you have two oils and both have a max 3% usage, you could in theory use 2.5% of each, or 3% of one and 2% of the other to get a 5% total scent weight without going over the use limit of each oil

If you have 3 and one is 1%, one is 3%, and the last is 5%, you could go 0.5, 2, 2.5 or something like that.

As long as the total amount of that particular oil does not go over the usage limits, you should be okay.

UNLESS - if the reason why a certain EO has that usage limit is shared by another oil, you might have issues if you combine them and the total amount of that particular ingredient in the eo is then too high. But as to how common that might be......I can't say
Thank you you explained it really well.:thumbs: I was under the impression that the total usage rate of EO in your batch was 3% are you saying that I can go up to 5% with a mixture of EO?

Use this it's really useful, put in you percentages for each oil and your total oil weight at the end and it will tell you exactly how much to use https://www.eocalc.com/enter-your-own-blend/
Thank you for this I have had a look, the percentage has to = 100%. if the usage rate on the EO is 0.50% (IFRA) how do I work this out to put in the box ? Sorry if I am being thick x

Thank you for this I have had a look, the percentage has to = 100%. if the usage rate on the EO is 0.50% (IFRA) how do I work this out to put in the box ? Sorry if I am being thick x
Thats ok, it works the same as a soap formula. So the 100% has to equal the total Blend of EO you are using for example,
100% lavender oil to = 100% of the EO's
OR 50% lavender oil, 25% Rosemary Oil and 25% Geranium Oil to = 100% of the EO's
if that makes sense. Then you would use that blend and formulate the quantity based on either 1-5% of your weight of oils. Hope that helps

Latest posts

Back