Help on EO blend please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winusuren

Reaction score
I would like to do an EO blend for my neem cp soap using rosemary, lemongrass and spearmint..I would like to use less rosemary and increase the other two EOs. I calculated my own blend in eocalc but it's getting indicated in red. I tried the percentage as follows: 15 rosemary, 25 spearmint, 60 lemongrass. I also tried to modify Up & At 'Em blend which comprises of 35%rosemary and 65% lemongrass. Even in that particular blend, I could see the red background. I don't know how to proceed further. Could someone help me in this please...

Last edited:
IFRA recently lowered many of their usage rate limits, including spearmint EO to a mere 0.24%
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/ifra-49-regulations.86262/
EOcalc is following them. This means that spearmint EO is practically banned – but IF AND ONLY IF you are choosing to follow their recommendations! As a private person, you do not have any obligation to follow them. Selling is another topic that is handled very differently across legislations.

You might decide to not follow their drastic decisions and stay with the old IFRA-48 usage rates. On the other hand, you are on the safe side when you follow their numbers – maybe complement the spearmint with another less restricted mint EO (peppermint, corn mint))?

IFRA recently lowered many of their usage rate limits, including spearmint EO to a mere 0.24%
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/ifra-49-regulations.86262/
EOcalc is following them. This means that spearmint EO is practically banned – but IF AND ONLY IF you are choosing to follow their recommendations! As a private person, you do not have any obligation to follow them. Selling is another topic that is handled very differently across legislations.

You might decide to not follow their drastic decisions and stay with the old IFRA-48 usage rates. On the other hand, you are on the safe side when you follow their numbers – maybe complement the spearmint with another less restricted mint EO (peppermint, corn mint))?
Thank you so much for your suggestion. I personally hate the tingling sensation caused by peppermint but I know a lot of people here love it. I'm making this particular soap for sales purpose so I'll try it..😊

Last edited:
Leaving out IFRA regulations as a personal choice, has anyone used the above three EO blends without any issues?? I'm little afraid as it might lead to skin irritation.

Back