Help! Oil is too hot!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheilaohga

Reaction score
I was melting my coconut and palm oil to a liquid form and while they were on the stove, I was working on my lye water.
But I left the oils on the stove although I turned it off it was still very hot and I started to hear sizzling sound. sob~~
I tried to cool it down but still the temp was 230F when it stopped sizzling.
Currently I stopped what I am doing and waiting it to cool down to about 130F.

Can I still use this oil when it's cooled or do I have to trash it?
Will my soap be ok made with this slightly-sizzled-oils?

It will be such a waste and I hate to do that.
If I can't use it for soaping, what can I use it for (cooking)?

Please help, I don't want to throw away my good oils... :cry:

I don't think it was burnt because I took it down from the stove as soon as I heard the crackling sound. But kept on sizzling for few minutes as the pot was still hot.

I don't think it was burnt because I took it down from the stove as soon as I heard the crackling sound.
But kept on sizzling for few minutes as the pot was still hot.

Oil is a very changeable product and heat isn't good for it in general. It can speed up the reactions associated with rancidity, plus the oil absorbs air as it cools down.

However, it doesn't sound like anything too extreme happened, especially if you didn't see smoke. Getting it up to frying temperature just once and for a short time won't come anywhere near making it unusable.

Ok.. so I CAN use this oils, yay!!
I am going to give away these soaps so I don't want anything bad happen to my friends & families.
Thank you!!

I wouldn't worry about it. You were way under the smoke point of coconut oil which is 350°F. Palm oil is 450°F! The sizzling you heard was likely due to a tiny bit of water left over in the oils from processing since you were just above the boiling point of water of 212°F.

With the help from here forumers, thank you, my oils were saved and used and no problems with my soaps!!
Thank you!! :)

Back