help newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julia

Reaction score
ok had my very first try of making cp soap today but i think i might have gone wrong somewhere, i followed the recipe in the melinda coss book
the handmade soap book vanilla delight recipe
24oz veg fat 80z cocunut oil 20z beeswax 110z spring water 50z sodium hydroxide 4 tsp vanilla frag oil, sorry for going on just want to explain
what did .... did fat on low heat etc did caustic soda tested them with thermometer till both were 50c then combined them both together ..........but this is where i went wrong i then put the pan back on low heat stirring it it started to set so added essence and then
i quickly poured it into mould, have i ruined it by continuing to cook over a low heat, it went foamy.......... :roll: is this soap now dangerous

is this the formula you used;
24 oz. veg oil ( assuming something like crisco? )
8 oz. coconut
2 oz. beeswax

5oz. lye
11 oz. water

or am i looking at the numbers wrong?

first off can i say never trust a soap recipe that was printed in a book, or given to you by someone (there may be typo's). always dbl check it on a lye calulator, always.

when i ran the above thru one, assuming those amounts are correct. 5 oz. of lye gives you no superfatting at all. again i ran it thru using the above numbers with crisco as the veggie oil. if so even at a 0% superfat the lye amount should have been around 4.88 oz. 5%
water amount is ok, first batch of soap i would have used a tad more.

by putting it back on the heat, you basically started doing hot process ( so here the extra bit of water might have helped ).

the foaming probably came from all the stirring.

based on the above numbers you have a very heavy lye soap, do not use it .

barb

Julia, welcome to the forum and congrats on your first batch of CP.
I have to agree with Barb, you have a lye heavy soap. Don't let it dicourage you though, there is a lot of trial and error in soap making.

hi me again

i did a hot process and didnt realise it, yes this recipe was in a book
the handmade soap book - melinda coss it says

24 oz 680 g vegetable fat shotening i used pura
8 oz 227g coconut oil
2 oz 57 g beeswax
11oz distilled water 312 g
50z 142 g lye
4 tsp vanilla fragrance

and i live in uk the vegetable fat i used was pura, is i a white block of veg fati is it heavy on lye due to the fact that i cooked it and boiled the water off it or is this recipe just wrong?? the next instruction says to let it cure for 4 weeks. So is it still
no good :( can it be saved???? what should correct recipe be ??? julia

Re: hi me again

the handmade soap book - melinda coss it says

24 oz 680 g vegetable fat shortening i used pura
8 oz 227g coconut oil
2 oz 57 g beeswax
11oz distilled water 312 g
50z 142 g lye
4 tsp vanilla fragrance

and i live in uk the vegetable fat i used was pura, is i a white block of veg fati is it heavy on lye due to the fact that i cooked it and boiled the water off it or is this recipe just wrong?? the next instruction says to let it cure for 4 weeks. So is it still
no good :( can it be saved???? what should correct recipe be ??? julia[/quote]

i googled my little heart out and can't find the ingredients for pura veggie shortening. not all veggie shortentings are created equal, here in the us most are soybean and cottonseed, canada i believe has one that is palm and ?, is your's 100% rapeseed. it really doesn't matter to much just would give us a better idea of a sap value. also different kinds of veggie oils will lend different charactorics to the soap, the soy/cottonseed blend will give you a slighly softer more conditioning bar then say if you used the canandian version which would give you a slighly harder bar ( palm oil here) but slighly less conditioning then it's us conterpart.

when i ran this thru the soap calc i used crisco ( which is again soy and cottonseed ) and for a 5 % super fat the amount of lye should have been 4.64 oz. even if you were doing a superfat of 0 the total amount of lye you could use would have been 4.88 oz. so you used 5 which is way more then even a 0%. i wonder were you supposed to add extra oils of some kind at trace? this might be why her fiqure was so high.

so you could i suppose grate this up and add some extra oils in there to superfat ( enrich) it, and rebatch it. but please don't use this soap as it is now, it's gonna take your hide off, lol.

barb

i had a look on the packet it just says 100 percent vegetable oil, could well be rapeseed as we have fields of it in england, the only other oil mentioned is the vanilla fragrance oil. Thanks for your help, much appreciated :)

Back