Help! Neon Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deda

Reaction score
I just made the fugliest soap in the world! 2 batches!

I got my shipment of fragrances yesterday, some new ones I've never tried.

Frosted Snowdrops smelled so so good! So I did that one first. Salt soap, coconut oil, castor oil, lye, water, the usual. I added blue ultramarine, added that with the plain water. Very pretty pale blue. All went great until I added the FO. Total Neon - BRIGHT YELLOW in less than 10 seconds. I could see the yellow stripes devouring my pretty pale blue. I added more blue, got dark green, ugly dark green. I molded it, washed up and began again.

This time - no color what-so-ever. Still Neon Yellow as soon as the fragrance hit the oil. Kitten Love??? Any ideas?

I dumped my lye, starting over with fresh - tested a tsp of each oil with a few drops of each oil, no reaction. But as soon as that lye hits, it's the 80's all over again. :roll:

I hope it works out for you. I have had a couple of FO's turn a batch bright yellow right away, but then they cured brown. Pink Sugar was one of them, can not remember the others off the top of my head.

Don't eat the yellow snow :lol: :lol: I am having a Zappa moment now.

Digit

I have never been able to have a batch turn out the way I want when I add fragrance oil. It makes the way I make soap so unreliable. I like to use handmade soaps that others scent beautifully. The soaps I make have a natural and clean fragrance from the nutrients that I use. Try to find some fragrance oil that agrees with your method. Happy soaping!

Thanks all!

Don't eat the snow - Exactly what my sister said when I told her... She's on my list now. :twisted:

I'm going to test all my FO's now. A few teaspoons of each oil and a bit of lye solution along with a drop or two of FO. I think I can use soapcalc to figure my recipe in 1oz batches. Thankfully I melt all my oils together and keep them in one of those 50lb buckets. I usually only make 4 different oil recipes, so it shouldn't be too hard. The 2oz jars should be perfect for watching the recipes for changes. Better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back