Help Needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

champagnediva

Reaction score
Good afternoon

Just found this forum. I have decided to take the plunge and wish to make some soap for personal usage. Where do we start? I am interested in the melt and pour method. I will need to buy soap, fragrance oil, mould, jug. My problem is how do we measure the ingredients. Don't seem to be able to get hold off recipes. I have two books on making soaps both concentrate on the cold process.
Any helps or tips - courses are out of question at moment
Thank you.

I do not make melt and pour, only cold process, but you can start with some recipes/tips on you tube...plus there are plenty of recipes here that people have shared.

Also Brambleberry has some good beginner tutorials.

Thank you for your kind support, I will check out the Brambleberry site. One of the problems is where to make it, husband at home all day also in lockdown. Thought it might be therapeutic.

If you are making melt and pour soap, you will need a place to melt your soap. The best place is usually your kitchen because that is where your microwave and stove are. YouTube is a great place to learn about melt and pour, what you can and cannot do with it, how to prepare colorants, and know what materials you need to actually start making creations. Have fun learning!

m&p is good to make in a kitchen! if you have a vent or fan, i'd suggest turning it on before you start anything. microwaving m&p is easy, just make sure you measure out your ingredients and such. there are plenty of recipes out there, brambleberry and wholesale supplies plus make really nice kits you can begin with!

M&P doesn't really require anything special other than a soap mold. You can do it practically anywhere. Fragrance, colors, and additives are optional. When I used to do M&P a lot, I'd just get a base, cut it up (the great thing with M&P is you can do one bar or several, it's all just as easy), put it in a glass measuring cup and melt it in the microwave. When it comes out, add a couple drops of color, I'd usually add a little additional oil or butter (or whatever), and a some fragrance (my M&P batches were really small, so I could get by with a dropperful or two of fragrance), stir it and put it in the mold. I don't think I measured anything back in the day, since it really IS just melt and pour.

Clean up is super easy too.

M&P doesn't really have recipes. You can add things like color and scent, but adding things like extra oils, milk, etc is a bad idea. I notice you are in the UK. Do you have a general craft/hobby store in your area? In the US we have Michael's, Joanne's Fabrics and Hobby Lobby. These places (in the US) carry the basics to experiment with melt and pour.
You can also order online. I googled and found this:
https://suppliesforcandles.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI873u--uZ7gIVxqeGCh1h_QtpEAAYASAAEgK8nPD_BwE
My suggestion would be to get a clear base, b/c it's prettier and more fun. Especially if you use sparkly mica.

Hi @champagnediva I just wanted to say that I have used the BrambleBerry products (I bought a kit) for melt and pour with much success. The instructions were very easy to follow and I ended up with amazing bars of soap! I hope you enjoy your soap making journey!

Good afternoon

Just found this forum. I have decided to take the plunge and wish to make some soap for personal usage. Where do we start? I am interested in the melt and pour method. I will need to buy soap, fragrance oil, mould, jug. My problem is how do we measure the ingredients. Don't seem to be able to get hold off recipes. I have two books on making soaps both concentrate on the cold process.
Any helps or tips - courses are out of question at moment
Thank you.
The complete guide to natural soap making and the natural soap making book for beginners are the two book I've read so far when I first started. Which, was only a few months ago. However, since then I have found other suppliers that are not too price when it come to buying ingredients and molds. I haven't used melt and pour but I will still let you know about places to get molds and fragrances.
Nature'sgarden.com have a vast catalog of fragrance oil.
Nuturesoap.com have molds, fragrance and coloring.
Brambleberry.com and also soapqueen.
Also, if you happen to run across nature in a bottle be wary if them. There reviews make think twice before using them.
Amazon.com you can find soap mold.
Royality soap have videos you can watch that are entertaining. * cold process * she use melt and pour for embeds.
Wholesalesuppliesplus.com have about everything. Molds, fragrance oil, essential oils a day melt and pour
You wouldnt need a soap calculator for melt n pour. I think soap queen should have tutorials on melt amd pour and you can finder soaper on Instagram that use melt and pour. I posted a picture of the calculator I use for my soap measurement. I know the books I sent your are for cold process but it explains some stuff that can be related to melt and pour amd if along the line you decide to do cold process those ar ego's book. Anne Marie the owner of brambleberry.com has a book on melt and pour and its on kindle. So are the other two book. If you have kindle unlimited you should be able to get thoese for free and a lot of other books too.
Melt and already made so you wouldn't fine a recipe for them other that for a design,coloring.
I hope those are of help to you. Those are my find so far.

Attachments

• 20210117_014138.jpg
    20210117_014138.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210117_014833.jpg
    20210117_014833.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210117_014947.jpg
    20210117_014947.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210117_014138.jpg
    20210117_014138.jpg