Help! Need quick answer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
Making oatmeal honey goats milk...I have condensed frozen cubes. Gonna put bowl of cubes in ice bath and then pour my lye water slowly. But I put sugar to the water and dissolved it......is it okay to add lye to sugar water?
Course the amount of water is only half....the other half is frozen milk

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as there is enough water for the lye to fully dissolve, it will be fine.

Lye needs at least the same amount of water by weight to fully dissolve. If you are using water with sugar, there needs to still be enough 'space' for the lye.

So taking 100g of water and 100g of lye is fine. Taking 100g of water, adding in sugar and THEN adding in 100g of lye is not okay, as there is less water for the lye to dissolve in.

There was a lot of talk about soleseife and how the balance between salt and lye was a fine one.

I use 50% of the water amount to mix water (150ml) & lye. It usually works out to be a bit more water than the weight of the lye. Still have to keep stirring it until the lye dissolved. Then I reserve some water (10 ml) to heat so I can mix and dissolve milk powder. I reserve water(10 ml) to mix colours, I mix salt and sugar into liquid goats milk (130 ml)..

Measurements are a guide.
This took me a while to work out [emoji33] but it works well for me.

Last edited:
Back