Help!!! Need laundry soap liquid & powder recipes...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been using my potassium hydroxide liquid soap for nearly 3 years but sometimes I am wondering if the soap really clean the clothes compare to store bought. In my eyes they do but in scientific I am not so sure.

Do they smell clean as they come out of the washer and again as they come out of the dryer? Do they still smell clean when you wear them the next time? Do your linens smell clean when you use them after the wash? Does the homemade laundry soap remove simple spots/minor stains without pre-treating?

If the answer to those questions is yes, I would be satisfied.

The place I find gives me the best smell test evidence is right out of the dryer. If my husband's t-shirts still smell of body odor out of the dryer, then I am not happy with the performance of my laundry soap. The only time I have experienced that happening was when I switched my recipe a bit, used less soap in the laundry in conjunction with minimal water (HE machine). I found using double the soap of that particular formula (it's still a lot less than store bought detergents recommend) and making sure to double rinse, there is no body odor smell as the undershirts come out of the dryer.

Do they smell clean as they come out of the washer and again as they come out of the dryer? Does the homemade laundry soap remove simple spots/minor stains without pre-treating?

If the answer to those questions is yes, I would be satisfied.
They smell fine, but they just don't look as clean as with commercial detergent. So here are my results so far:

1. Only grated soap (this is my old batch of soap with no citric acid/ sodium citrate, and I have hard water): Scummy; not clean at all
2. Grated soap plus citric acid in water (what DeeAnna says you should not do): No scum, but still not very clean -- better than 1, though.
3. Grated soap plus citric acid plus washing soda: Fairly clean. Even better if I use vinegar in the last rinse. It may actually be as good as commercial; I'll have to use commercial on my dogs' cloths the next time, for a fair comparison.
4. Grated soap plus washing soda (no citric acid): Something like 1.

So, I think, the next time, I'll add CA/SC to my soap itself (as I have been doing of late with my other batches). Then I may be able to use just this soap and washing soda. I use washing soda with whites, not with coloureds. Maybe I'll try a shade of ammonia for that. BTW, for a load of laundry, I use about 40 grams (1.5 oz.) of grated soap.

Nandistar, one difference I see in your #4 formula from mine is the absence of borax. I have never used citric acid in my laundry soap, but I have changed the actual soap I use.

The soap I currently use is 100% Coconut Oil soap with 0%SF with no additives. The washing soda is Arm & Hammer washing soda, but I doubt the brand matters; it's just all that is available where I shop. The Borax is the 20 mule-team Borax, which is the only Borax available where I shop.

I have been able to compare how clean the clothes look or smell using my soap versus commercial soap because I travel a lot, and don't always bring enough homemade laundry soap for an extended trip. Therefore I do occasionally use commercial soap on my clothes while traveling.

How do they compare? The laundry appears to be and smell as clean with my homemade soap as it does when I use store bought laundry detergent in all cases. I have used whatever laundry detergent I could find, so the comparison is not to any one brand.

Nandistar, one difference I see in your #4 formula from mine is the absence of borax. I have never used citric acid in my laundry soap, but I have changed the actual soap I use.

The soap I currently use is 100% Coconut Oil soap with 0%SF with no additives. The washing soda is Arm & Hammer washing soda, but I doubt the brand matters; it's just all that is available where I shop. The Borax is the 20 mule-team Borax, which is the only Borax available where I shop.

I have been able to compare how clean the clothes look or smell using my soap versus commercial soap because I travel a lot, and don't always bring enough homemade laundry soap for an extended trip. Therefore I do occasionally use commercial soap on my clothes while traveling.

How do they compare? The laundry appears to be and smell as clean with my homemade soap as it does when I use store bought laundry detergent in all cases. I have used whatever laundry detergent I could find, so the comparison is not to any one brand.

Smell good for me Earlene but I use a scent granules. Yes a minor stain is always gone without pre-treating it.
I am currently using potassium hydroxide liquid soap ( 100% coconut oil ) With little borax. I don’t use the grated one.

Nandistar, one difference I see in your #4 formula from mine is the absence of borax.

The soap I currently use is 100% Coconut Oil soap with 0%SF with no additives.

I have used whatever laundry detergent I could find, so the comparison is not to any one brand.

In my case, I always use the same brand of commercial detergent, so it should be easier to compare. I've run out of it; I'll wash my dogs' cloths once I buy some.
I have used a coconut oil soap in the past, but my current one is 8% coconut and 92% palmolein, with 0% SF. The newer batch is -10% SF.
I did use borax initially, but got the same lacklustre results -- somewhere between my #1 and 2 mentioned in my earlier post. And then, with the debate over borax (and its being rather expensive here), I decided not to use it.

In my case, I always use the same brand of commercial detergent, so it should be easier to compare. I've run out of it; I'll wash my dogs' cloths once I buy some.
I have used a coconut oil soap in the past, but my current one is 8% coconut and 92% palmolein, with 0% SF. The newer batch is -10% SF.
I did use borax initially, but got the same lacklustre results -- somewhere between my #1 and 2 mentioned in my earlier post. And then, with the debate over borax (and its being rather expensive here), I decided not to use it.

But I noticed that in my work uniform my homemade liquid laundry soap can’t take off my makeup stain but my store bought brand can do without pre-treatment.

But I noticed that in my work uniform my homemade liquid laundry soap can’t take off my makeup stain but my store bought brand can do without pre-treatment.
My clothes are not all that soiled -- commercial detergent gets them clean without any pre-treatment.

My clothes are not all that soiled -- commercial detergent gets them clean without any pre-treatment.

Always my problem is the makeup stain because I use a very heavy concealer to cover my vitiligo in my neck area.

My experience is similar to yours, Biarine. I think homemade laundry mix has its place, but it's not the ultimate alternative to commercial detergent.

For example, I often get oil spots down the front of my tee shirts from my big leather stitching machine. The thread runs through a bath of oil and sometimes little drops of this oil get flicked into the air while I'm stitching, and of course they land center-front on my shirt. It's unsightly as well as a little embarrassing -- it looks like I need a bib to eat my food. Anyway, when using my homemade laundry mix I have to pretreat those spots. I don't have to when using commercial detergent.

Off topic -- Here's the stitcher I'm talking about. It's from the 1910s and has a needle about the diameter of coat hanger wire -- pretty deadly if a finger gets in the way. The long black box in the upper center of the stitcher is the gizmo that holds the oil to lubricate the thread.

treadleStitcher600.jpg

My experience is similar to yours, Biarine. I think homemade laundry mix has its place, but it's not the ultimate alternative to commercial detergent.

For example, I often get oil spots down the front of my tee shirts from my big leather stitching machine. The thread runs through a bath of oil and sometimes little drops of this oil get flicked into the air while I'm stitching, and of course they land center-front on my shirt. It's unsightly as well as a little embarrassing -- it looks like I need a bib to eat my food. Anyway, when using my homemade laundry mix I have to pretreat those spots. I don't have to when using commercial detergent.

Off topic -- Here's the stitcher I'm talking about. It's from the 1910s and has a needle about the diameter of coat hanger wire -- pretty deadly if a finger gets in the way. The long black box in the upper center of the stitcher is the gizmo that holds the oil to lubricate the thread.

View attachment 28959

Wow that’s awesome Machine DeeAnna, we have an antique singer sewing machine but yours it’s big. You can use it in sewing leather.

Yes that’s my experience too with liquid laundry soap. Because of heavy oil base concealer. I always have makeup stains in my clothes, it’s embarrassing sometimes but I can’t go without covering my white pigmentation.

They smell fine, but they just don't look as clean as with commercial detergent. So here are my results so far:

1. Only grated soap (this is my old batch of soap with no citric acid/ sodium citrate, and I have hard water): Scummy; not clean at all
2. Grated soap plus citric acid in water (what DeeAnna says you should not do): No scum, but still not very clean -- better than 1, though.
3. Grated soap plus citric acid plus washing soda: Fairly clean. Even better if I use vinegar in the last rinse. It may actually be as good as commercial; I'll have to use commercial on my dogs' cloths the next time, for a fair comparison.
4. Grated soap plus washing soda (no citric acid): Something like 1.

So, I think, the next time, I'll add CA/SC to my soap itself (as I have been doing of late with my other batches). Then I may be able to use just this soap and washing soda. I use washing soda with whites, not with coloureds. Maybe I'll try a shade of ammonia for that. BTW, for a load of laundry, I use about 40 grams (1.5 oz.) of grated soap.

Hello from far far Poland! I'm new on this forum, but I practice soapmaking for 5 years.
I have an idea to make a 100% coconut oil soap, -1% SF with citric acid and washing soda addition. Then cure it, grade it well and use it. Did You try to make it this way? Sounds easier than making soap, then drying and curing it, then mixing with CA and WS.
What do You think, folks?

Hello from far far Poland! I'm new on this forum, but I practice soapmaking for 5 years.
I have an idea to make a 100% coconut oil soap, -1% SF with citric acid and washing soda addition. Then cure it, grade it well and use it. Did You try to make it this way? Sounds easier than making soap, then drying and curing it, then mixing with CA and WS.
What do You think, folks?
Hello Tomek! I have not done it so far, but I do plan to make one with citric acid in it, probably something like the traditional recipe or variations at https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/sudsy-ammonia-in-soap.41965/.

I make liquid laundry/dish soap using 100% CO, 0% superfat, and KOH with the CP method. Easy peasy. I keep the paste on hand to put on a brush, cloth, or sponge to clean with. Works fine, with no ingredients that are going to cause me problems.
Hi Susie. Can you please explain the process in detail. Thanks

View attachment 28959
My husband's grandpa had similar machines when he was still making shoes. He was a Cobbler his entire life. I wanted one so bad when he passed away and I did not know my Father in Law sold them cheap at a yard sale. I asked my husband if I could have or buy one and it just did not happen.

Back to topic, I still prefer laundry detergent over soap, because it always seemed to leave my clothes a bit dingy.

LOL funny you guys are bringing this up again. We started using commercial detergent (Ariel) + Oxyclean (or similar) last year. I ran out of soap and thought it would be better, or at least no different. Then I noticed that even with pretreating my stains (Awesome or Spray & Wash), some weren't coming out and a lot of spots that shouldn't need pre-treating were staying. Remember, Im the one that works in a disgusting job in the marine sciences where fish yack and grease are the norm. Oh and we don't wear white because it doesn't suit our lifestyle :)

So I made up a batch of 0% SF coconut oil soap with citric acid, grated it just as it hardened and cooled. I mixed it with washing soda & borax (2 parts soap, 1 part washing soda & 1 part borax by volume, yep because I'm lame). And saved some bars for stain treatment. Ya know what? Im not crazy, it is better - no more stains. I KNOW my mix isn't the norm, and I bet if I paid for the really expensive detergent I might have the same results, but why?

Last edited:
I totally find soap far better for laundry than any of the commercial detergents. Its cleaner and fresher for sure. I use 0% SF 100% CO and about 10% koh to help for a fast dissolving when in the washing machine, I add oxy bleach and washing soda always and all washing comes out bright, clean and fresh. The loathsome part is grating up the bars....sigh!!! I think I am going to get an electric cheese grater to do the job!

Back