Help!!! Need laundry soap liquid & powder recipes...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My salad shooter with the grater wheel makes this so easy. Interesting about the KOH, I might try that next time. Mind you, I travel a lot and use my stuff for handwashing too, and never had any issue with dissolving, even when I (rarely) use cold water - like on a delicate cycle.
I totally find soap far better for laundry than any of the commercial detergents. Its cleaner and fresher for sure. I use 0% SF 100% CO and about 10% koh to help for a fast dissolving when in the washing machine, I add oxy bleach and washing soda always and all washing comes out bright, clean and fresh. The loathsome part is grating up the bars....sigh!!! I think I am going to get an electric cheese grater to do the job!

Seawolfe is this what you mean by a slab shooter?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simlive-El...cheese+grater&qid=1559817445&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I had my eye on getting one of these!
Even with the koh my laundry soap is still a bar and I too can use it for hand washing, but the koh just makes it easier to dissolve and to grate, the all naoh was very hard and brittle compared with a regular CP soap, so now my laundry soap is more like a CP soap in hardness.

That should read SALAD shooter!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna reply here, as I always do when HM laundry detergent comes up on all the natural living-type boards I'm on. I was making my own detergent when our youngest was born, and spent 2 years trying to figure out his eczema with creams and food restrictions. It couldn't be the detergent, right, because I was making my own with no fragrances or colours. We visited my parents for a couple of weeks and used their Tide detergent and all of a sudden, the eczema cleared up! Went home, washed everything in commercial (free & clear) detergent, and NO skin issues for years. Then, eczema on his groin...doc thought it might be psoriasis (which my father has). Poor kid is only 7, not psoriasis (on his genitals no less!) yet!! Then my wife pointed out that I had started soaking everyone's underwear in Oxyclean and TTO as a pre-wash. Stopped treating his underwear and everything cleared up...we were able to cancel the dermatologist appointment.
SO! Borax is fine for most people (as is whatever's in Oxyclean), but some can be hypersensitive to it. If my story saves even one person from doing a brown-rice elimination diet, I'll keep telling it!

Gonna reply here, as I always do when HM laundry detergent comes up on all the natural living-type boards I'm on. I was making my own detergent when our youngest was born, and spent 2 years trying to figure out his eczema with creams and food restrictions. It couldn't be the detergent, right, because I was making my own with no fragrances or colours. We visited my parents for a couple of weeks and used their Tide detergent and all of a sudden, the eczema cleared up! Went home, washed everything in commercial (free & clear) detergent, and NO skin issues for years. Then, eczema on his groin...doc thought it might be psoriasis (which my father has). Poor kid is only 7, not psoriasis (on his genitals no less!) yet!! Then my wife pointed out that I had started soaking everyone's underwear in Oxyclean and TTO as a pre-wash. Stopped treating his underwear and everything cleared up...we were able to cancel the dermatologist appointment.
SO! Borax is fine for most people (as is whatever's in Oxyclean), but some can be hypersensitive to it. If my story saves even one person from doing a brown-rice elimination diet, I'll keep telling it!

Well Oxybleach is just Hydrogen Peroxide in powder form as far as I am aware. Hydrogen Peroxide was used in medicine to clean wounds and disinfect once upon a time. However I am sure that you can be allergic to almost anything and spotting what that is can be a conundrum. Here in the UK Borax is a bit of a no no and Oxy has pretty much taken its place......I think.

Oxygen bleach -- the powdered stuff sold as Oxiclean and clones -- is not hydrogen peroxide. As sold, it is a mixture of sodium percarbonate, sodium carbonate (washing soda), and other minor ingredients. Sodium percarbonate breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate when mixed with water. If not rinsed out well, the alkalinity of the washing soda (pH of around 11, speaking from memory) can be a skin irritant.

Borax softens water and makes the wash water alkaline, but it does not bleach (whiten) clothes like oxygen bleach does. Borax isn't an alternative to oxygen bleach -- it functions more like washing soda (sodium carbonate).

Tea tree oil is pretty safe at concentrations of 10% or less, unless it's oxidized. Oxidized TTO can be a skin sensitizer and irritant.

Well Oxybleach is just Hydrogen Peroxide in powder form as far as I am aware. Hydrogen Peroxide was used in medicine to clean wounds and disinfect once upon a time. However I am sure that you can be allergic to almost anything and spotting what that is can be a conundrum. Here in the UK Borax is a bit of a no no and Oxy has pretty much taken its place......I think.

It is still used, however, hydrogen peroxide is toxic to skin and even in small percentages sensitivities to do occur, even more so in children. Even at 3% solution, it is irritating to the skin. Intact skin is less susceptible, however when used for disinfection of wounds, it is not usually used on intact skin. It is also an additive in some oral products, and sometimes a mouth wash is used at 50% dilution. Serious allergic reactions to hydrogen peroxide are considered rare, but they do happen.

And, no that is not all that is in oxiclean. Most sites list 2 main ingredients: sodium percarbonate (50-60%) & washing soda. But there are also detergent in the form of surfactants. And what all the remaining inactive ingredients are (I don't know) that make up the rest of the 100%.
  • reference - some of the links are now broken, but used to link to articles on the Oxiclean website.
  • reference - this site lists different percentages
  • Additional references regarding the chemical names in the two previous references: technical data sheets, which list the chemical formula: sodium percarbonate; sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate.

Incidentally, allergic reactions can be from any component, inactive ingredients as well as active ingredients of any product.

Oops, I did not see DeeAnna's response before posting mine.

I am not allergic to hydrogen peroxide or washing soda. I am, however, allergic to Oxiclean. One of those other ingredients is the problem. But now that I know what's in it, I may make my own if I need it. I don't typically have a problem with needing an additional cleaner of laundry now that I switched back to commercial (free & clear) detergent.

Thanks DeeAnna and Earlene that is so interesting, I love to know how stuff works. Oxyclean does foam somewhat and so there must be something surfactant in there, would most likely be the harshest of surfs would it not as its not intended for skin use, Susie maybe its a harsh surfactant that brings you out? it also has an aroma so presumably has an FO as well? But for me it works very well without any reactions so for now I am really liking my laundry soap with the added Oxygen and Soda, have never had laundry as clean with detergent and I have rock hard water!

Tea tree oil is pretty safe at concentrations of 10% or less, unless it's oxidized. Oxidized TTO can be a skin sensitizer and irritant.

It's true that I immediately assumed it was the Oxyclean and not the TTO...mind you, I've treated his athlete's foot with a nightly rub of TTO and OO. BTW, that stuff works like a charm....I don't think I've ever done more than 5 applications before it's gone away entirely, and once when I was aghast to find all the skin peeling off my feet (had never had athlete's foot before and was purt near traumatized), it took only *2* applications to completely cure it. I don't think I've ever had anything clear up so fast.

Latest posts

Back