HELP! Need a fragrance suggestions for CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use kaolin clay (1T ppo), colloidal oatmeal (1/2 T ppo) and tussah silk in all of my batches. I also use sugar, aloe vera juice, and sodium lactate. I used to use charcoal mixed with black oxide to get a deep black, but now I use Mad Mica's Wicked mica and I love it! I still use charcoal for my eucalyptus EO facial soap for its properties, but it isn't nearly as pretty as the Wicked mica.
I made soap with a bunch of 'new to me' FOs this summer. The last ones will be 6 months old at the end of this month, so I'll post my thoughts of them on this thread.
These are the ones I soaped with:

WSP
Monkey Farts
Irish Spring

BB
Blueberry Jam

Soapalooza
Bossa Nova
Tassi Lavender/Blue Chamomile blend

Nurture
All Souls Day
Flame Tree
Cucumber Melon

Oregon Trails
Mysore Sandalwood

Multi-Vendor Blends
The blend used by Irish Lass for the perfect OMH scent - Daystar's Milk Sugar Kisses blended with Oregon Trail's OMH.
A blend recommended by Katie Carson (Royalty Soap) as the perfect peach scent - equal amounts of NG Perfect Peach and FB Georgia Peach.

LORDY, I counted all the fragrances that I have tested this year... I knew I was in trouble... I knew I had fallen down the rabbit hole when I started testing all these fragrances, BUT I didn't know how far I had fallen! I've tried 150 scents this year! I've tested fragrances from Rustic Escentuals, Candle Science, Lone Star Fragrance, Fragrance Buddy, Virginia Candle Supply, Maple Street Fragrance, Wholesale Supplies Plus, Bramble Berry and Micas and More.

Geez, WTH was I thinking? I discovered 30 scents that are sticking and that I like.

I think the next step is to start exploring different soap recipes! I've got some Colloidal Oatmeal, tussah silk, charcoal, and kaolin clay that I want to start playing around with. If there are any words of advice, I am all ears!
Which fragrances do you like from Micas and More? I've tried two I really like: Burst of Energy and Lavender & Apricot. Both soaps were made recently, so I can't yet report on how long they last. I can say that they were both well-behaved: no discoloring, no ricing, no acceleration.

I have no recommendations, but did want to say that I found a soap that a friend brought me from France in about 2002. Still as fragrant as it was 17 years ago (and it wasn't delicate back then!) . I stored it very carefully, you know : under the bathroom sink, not wrapped one way or another
I bet that is going to last FOREVER! Lol with all that "cure" time lol

I will tell you what happens to the Apricot Freesia IF YOU DON'T AVOID the GEL .. It morphs into a Lysol Wipes scent!
There is no rebatching it either! It is strong and lasts FOREVER! I had to throw the whole loaf away!
OH WHY? lmao who doesnt want to smell like lysol wipes ;)

Totally different FO but the NS fairy garden smells like old lady in cp and boy it sticks on everything including your hands if u wash with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the ones I soaped with:

BB
Blueberry Jam

Nurture
All Souls Day
Flame Tree
Cucumber Melon

Multi-Vendor Blends
A blend recommended by Katie Carson (Royalty Soap) as the perfect peach scent - equal amounts of NG Perfect Peach and FB Georgia Peach.

Please, please, PLEASE,. Update on all the fragrances... The ones listed above have me waiting with extreme anticipation!

Which fragrances do you like from Micas and More? I've tried two I really like: Burst of Energy and Lavender & Apricot.

I'm not a lavender person, but I've heard really good things about the lavender & apricot.

I totally love that Steph tests her fragrances and shares those samples with you. I have soap samples she sent me this summer and I can still smell the scents.

I recommend her
1. Brown sugar and fig (spot on dupe of bbw)

2. Black raspberry and vanilla

3. Viva la juicy

My soap samples are all at least 6 months old.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm having a brain fart lol
Which company is FB? Looking into the Georgia Peach that was mentioned

@noni2009 In case @cerelife doesn't see this, I'm pretty sure FB is Fragrance Buddy.
@SoapSisters I really like Ancient Incense from Micas & More. I haven't tried many of the fragrance oils she offers yet, but I would like to try Dr. Peppermint and if I ever decide to get Love Spell again, I will probably try it from there. I don't think I liked the Baja Cactus Blossom much, but that is probably just my personal feeling. I don't remember why I didn't care for it either.

Dibbles, I did not like Baja Cactus Blossom when I first poured it, but it did improve after curing. I really began to like it when it became a good seller. :lol: but it honestly did get better after curing.

AND... I was looking through some more old threads today and found the following scents that are known to STICK, but they didn't specify how long..

Candle Science (CS) - The following stick, but don’t know how long..
Peppermint & Eucalyptus, Hazelnut Coffee, Love Spell, Brandied Pear

PEAK Fragrance - The following STICK, but don’t know how long...
Cranberry Apple Marmalade, Apple Jack Peel, & Key Lime

Let me know if you ladies have used these scents in CP soap and can confirm that they last at least 6 months
I can confirm the Candle Science Love Spell - I have a bar that is one year old and it still smells as strong as when it was poured.

I will tell you what happens to the Apricot Freesia IF YOU DON'T AVOID the GEL .. It morphs into a Lysol Wipes scent!
There is no rebatching it either! It is strong and lasts FOREVER! I had to throw the whole loaf away!

Apricot Freesia is amazing in lotion but a NO NO in CP Soap!

. . . The last ones will be 6 months old at the end of this month, so I'll post my thoughts of them on this thread. These are the ones I soaped with:

BB
Blueberry Jam

Oregon Trails
Mysore Sandalwood

Multi-Vendor Blends

Cerelife,

How about an update on the above fragrances?

How much are you using?
I use sorbitol at 1% of my batch weight and vinegar is usually 50% of my liquid since I soap with 50/50 masterbatch lye. At times I do mix my vinegar with my lye at 100% liquid replacement. Remember if you use vinegar you multiply your total vinegar by 0.0357 which will be the extra lye needed to create Sodium Acetate which will help harden your soap. I use it instead of Sodium Lactate.

@math ace - Sorry for the delay in reviewing these FOs! In mid-January I was negotiating a position at another hospital and getting ready for Mardi Gras. I belong to a New Orleans Krewe and between the negotiations and getting my handmade throws ready for our parade, I ran out of time!! I started the new job shortly after Mardi Gras and then the Covid nightmare hit, so it's been completely insane at work!!
But at least I can tell you how the scents have held up PAST the 6 month mark :)
WSP
Monkey Farts - at 6 months still pretty strong with slight fading at the current 9+ month mark. I don't love this scent (basically banana/coconut) but it sold well. I used BCN vanilla stabilizer and my tiger stripes remain pastel. It does thicken up fast, so you need to move quickly.
Irish Spring - This one sticks like crazy!! Smells amazing - definitely a keeper!!

BB
Blueberry Jam - Smells great with very little fading. Honestly I'm stunned that there is zero discoloration for this FO because it smells very sweet - just like it's name!

Soapalooza
Bossa Nova - still sticking like a charm. Personally I don't care for this scent, but it sold well. No discoloration.
Tassi Lavender/Blue Chamomile blend - This was not a good blend. I think the Tassi would be great on it's own, but together it was just 'meh' and didn't stick well for me.

Nurture
All Souls Day - Like seriously, just go buy this NOW!!! I adore this one soooo much more than I thought I would. I used 0.5oz ppo in my slow-moving recipe and it behaved beautifully for a tilted tiger design. It still smells crazy good at 9+ months!!
Flame Tree - I liked it but who cares since they discontinued this FO.
Cucumber Melon - I've yet to find a good straight cucumber FO, but this one is pretty decent. A little sweeter than I would prefer, but it does stick better than most cucumber FOs, and it sells well for me. Some slight fading from the 6 month to the 9 month mark.

Oregon Trails
Mysore Sandalwood - This is another of those "OMG, this is amazing!" FOs...it honestly smells like the real thing AND survives the lye beast!! It smells just as good now as it did just after cure!

Multi-Vendor Blends
The blend used by Irish Lass for the perfect OMH scent - Daystar's Milk Sugar Kisses blended with Oregon Trail's OMH. - Irish Lass KILLED it with this blend!! None of those plastic/play-doh overtones that are so prevalent in OMH scents, this is pure milky sweet oatmeal goodness :) AND it sticks like crazy - still smells like a dream at 9+ months. BTW I love Daystar's Milk Sugar Kisses on its own as well - in a cured bar of soap it reminds me of fresh croissants!
A blend recommended by Katie Carson (Royalty Soap) as the perfect peach scent - equal amounts of NG Perfect Peach and FB Georgia Peach. - Yeah, this one is a hard pass for me. As with most peach scents, it smelled great while soaping and smelled like absolutely nothing for the first few weeks of cure. The scent bloomed at about week 4 and I got excited because it really DID smell nice and peachy, but alas...by week 6 the scent settled down to a "cheap drug-store body spray" version of peach. I will say that the scent is still sticking at 9+ months, but this isn't really a good thing. No way would I sell this soap, so I'm using it myself...the best I can say is that the scent doesn't remain on your skin after using it!

Multi-Vendor Blends
The blend used by Irish Lass for the perfect OMH scent - Daystar's Milk Sugar Kisses blended with Oregon Trail's OMH. - Irish Lass KILLED it with this blend!! None of those plastic/play-doh overtones that are so prevalent in OMH scents, this is pure milky sweet oatmeal goodness :) AND it sticks like crazy - still smells like a dream at 9+ months. BTW I love Daystar's Milk Sugar Kisses on its own as well - in a cured bar of soap it reminds me of fresh croissants!

I'm so glad you like it! I'm probably biased, but it's one of the best scent blends I ever came up with, even if I do say so myself. :cool:

IrishLass :)

Back