Help! My soaps stuck

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyn4680

Reaction score
Hi all. Wouldn't you believe it, my first post and I'm asking for help [emoji22] . I promise I'll introduce myself properly soon.

I've made probably 6 or so batches of soap before and have found a Goats Milk one that I love.

Any whoo, I've always just used silicone loaf pans and the soap has just popped out, but I've never been happy with the shape. So over the weekend I tottled down to bunnings, got them to cut some pine and I made up a couple of 2lb moulds. Go me!

But... I've just tried to unmould my gm soap and its not going anywhere. It's had 24 hrs in the fridge, and another day in my kitchen bench. I had lined the mould with baking paper but that was it.

I'm assuming another day in the mould would only help, but no too sure what else I can do. Any suggestions would be really appreciated, I love this soap, even tried a fancy swirl and everything

Thanks guys!

Pop it in the freezer for at least 2 hours and hopefully it will shrink and come out. I always line with baking paper but make sure some sticks out of the mould so I have something to pull on to get it out of the mould

Yes, as others have suggested you need to line the mold. I use freezer paper when I use mine. Hope it comes out for you. You may need to slip a knife along the edges and hope the bottom comes out.

Did you build the mold yourself? If the pieces weren't cut right you might have a situation where the bottom of the mold is slightly bigger than the top. One of my first molds was wood and put together by a friend. It wasn't perfectly square and the soap would not come out. I never used it again.
I had to google Bunnings. If it's anything like Lowes in the USA I would not trust them to do the cutting for you. . . .

Success!! Thanks for the freezer tip, it worked a treat.

I did make the moulds myself and suspect that you're right, between the cut and my carpentry skills, the moulds aren't square. I'm going to give them another go this weekend with a heap of paper (and extra as handles to help lift) and if that fails I might try reworking them so I can easily pull them apart to get it out

On the plus side, I'm really happy with my soap and my first attempt at being fancy

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I have a couple of my soap mould surrounds that I made before I bought a jigsaw that aren't 100% straight. I just unscrew the screws to loosen the sides to pop the mould out. I would do something similar with your mould to help unmoulding in the future. Baking paper should be fine I have used it and it works no issues.

Ahhh Bunnings. Ours sunk into the ground and the closest one is now over an hour drive away :(

If you find that baking paper is not working, try going to Spotlight and ask for freezer paper - they use it for quilting and I think it's $1.50 a metre, but you can use it more than once. I sometimes get about 4 out of one lining.

I was lucky to get some from the US, as a lady I know visits her daughter in Texas and brought a roll back for me. It's too expensive to get it posted back - more than it's worth. I don't know why we don't have it here.

Also my mould is not totally square, I line it and leave some out the top, then turn it upside down and shake, shake, shake the soap out. My mould is nailed so I can't let any screws down.

Back