Help.....My soap is still cracking!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

country gal

Reaction score
I am watching it like a hawk. As soon as the temps started to rise I took the covering off. Also put it on a cooling rack.
It still kept cracking so I took the mold apart to get more air around it.

Is it my mold. Maybe not enough area on top. It is made of a type of mdf wood not a pine. It is 3 1/2" W x 10" L x 2 1/2" D and holds two pounds.

This is my third batch of trying to get it to not crack, I have now run out of supplies! : (

I just don't get it, what do you think is going wrong? do I need a new mold?
I will try to post a pic. I have no clue how to do that!!!

Thanks,
Jeanette
img4113m.jpg

Sorry your having such issues Country gal. Can you tell us your recipe and how warm it is when you combine the oil and Lye, pour into mold etc. I can't imagine it being the mold but I could be wrong.

Edit: I just found your other thread..... seems it is getting too hot and from what I think of the wood used it may be possible that is it. Is it multi-layered, glued together and somewhat varnished looking? If so you need to go to untreated pine.

Val

I tried posting a pic, but still didn't get it to work.

The temps were 90 -95 for both when I mixed the lye and oils.
my recipe is

co
crisco
shea
olive
canola
castor
33% , 5% superfat
I use aloe juice instead of water.

To post a pic you have to have it hosted on the internet somewhere like photo-bucket or Image shack. Do you have it uploaded to an image host? If not try that first.

Val

Phew!! There it is. You can also see the back side of the mold. It is about 1/2" thick.

If you think it is the mold, I will get my DH right on a new one out of pine!!

x

imho, it's definitely a heat issue.

sorry you are having so much drama making soap! :roll:

btw, that's really pretty soap.

in a book i was reading it says the cracking can be caused by stirring to much. i havent had this problem *yet* so i don't know.

the book was called soap making for fun and proffit or something similar to that.

Krissy,
This is my first swirl of the entire soap, but I have been swirling or icing the very top since I got this mold.

How then do you swirl the top and not crack and still gel? UGH!!

Or don't you!!!!!

Edit: I thought you said swirling too much, but you said stirring too much. Stirring too much at what point, when it is in the mold?

x

i make some room temp c/p and i chill my lye and oils. in my 18 " hdpe log molds the soap barely gets to bathwater temp. (i cover with a towel)

the soap is a little softer, so it has to sit a few days before cutting. i soap 40% (lye x 1.5 = water)

i do this for delicate fragrances that i don't want burned off because of high temp of gelling.

I would think it was a heat issue too . It looks orange in places like GM or CM does when the lye cooks it , does aloe turn colors in the lye , I haven't tried aloe out yet.

Kitn

kitn,

I used turmeric to color some of the batter. I was making sunflower scented soap, and thought I would try the spice to color and try swirling!!
Aloe doesn't look any different then when I use water. My aloe is clear.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back