HELP - My Soap Has an Oil Pool!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did anyone run that recipe through a calculator? If it’s not a safe recipe to start with, rebatching won’t help. (I’ll see if I have time tonight to do that)

Wow, I had no idea. I looked up a few different websites that recommended .5 oz ppo. Thank you for the links. Maybe for the time being I should switch to fragrance oils instead of essential oils, at least until I get basic Soapmaking understood a little better. I'm also thinking maybe my book wasn't as good as I thought it was.
There is a great misconception that one size fits all when it comes to the amount of EO to use in soap. The safe usage rates are very oil-specific, and anyone that makes general recommendations to the contrary is not very well informed on the issue.

The good news is, you've found the right place to get really solid, helpful information. So hopefully you don't feel piled-upon. We really do love helping and will be cheering you on for your next batches! :)

There is a great misconception that one size fits all when it comes to the amount of EO to use in soap. The safe usage rates are very oil-specific, and anyone that makes general recommendations to the contrary is not very well informed on the issue.

The good news is, you've found the right place to get really solid, helpful information. So hopefully you don't feel piled-upon. We really do love helping and will be cheering you on for your next batches! :)
No, not piled on at all! I truly am super happy to get all the answers and information. I just want to learn. Thanks for everyone's input.

I don't know how well this shows up.

Here's after re batching it. I'm going to wait to cut it until tomorrow or later.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210501-205204.png
    Screenshot_20210501-205204.png
    220.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210501_185930904.jpg
    IMG_20210501_185930904.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20210501_152624878_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210501_152624878_HDR.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 25
Well done! Since you have now hot-processed your soap, it may be ready to cut sooner than you think.You can know it is ready to cut when it feels like firm cheddar cheese out of the fridge: it gives a little bit with pressure, but not too much. The timing for that will vary from recipe to recipe, so I'd encourage checking rather than waiting any arbitrary amount of time.

Well done! Since you have now hot-processed your soap, it may be ready to cut sooner than you think.You can know it is ready to cut when it feels like firm cheddar cheese out of the fridge: it gives a little bit with pressure, but not too much. The timing for that will vary from recipe to recipe, so I'd encourage checking rather than waiting any arbitrary amount of time.
That makes sense! It seemed just a little soft, and I didn't want to squish it or something trying to cut it yet.

Back