Help! My husband cooked my CPOP!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KudzuGoddess

Reaction score
I whipped up a batch of soap this morning before work in my BRAND NEW Nurture Soap 4.5 lb mold. After heating up the oven to its lowest setting I turned it off, popped in my soap and happily carried on with my day. That is until this evening when I got a bewildered call from the hus-beast. "I think I broke your soap thing". Oh god! I forgot to tell him it was in there! Sure enough he pre-heated the oven to 425 degrees with my full mold inside. What's the verdict? Is this batch toast? Is the mold done for? Help!

I left my soap in overnight without turning the oven off at 170 and it was fine. Not sure about the 425 degrees though. If in the preheating stage, it might have been even hotter than 425. Have you checked the soap?

Just got home and it looks ok maybe. Nothing too crazy. Is it safe to use? There was some condensation on the inside of the mold but not much.
16322815640931638240681287183687.jpg

If the soap looks ok, it probably is ok. Worth testing anyway.

Did you use a silicone liner? That might give you silicone rash (uneven but safe texture on contact surfaces) in future batches, I'm afraid.

Is the mould ok? Not warped or cracked or anything?

Thanks! It's 2tbl spoons of chlorella in a 1000g batch. Doesn't stay that beautiful as it cures though. It does this miraculous fade and darken then brighten thing over time. After about 3 months the edges go white but it goes back to green when you use it.

Sounds like a lovely color-changing process.

Well, they do have to be present when you yell at them, and of course, so do you. Are you & your family/spices always home at the same time while making soap? I rarely make soap when my husband is at home & awake, but he has been known to come home after I have put soap into the oven & gone off to do some gardening or whatnot. When I soap after he has gone to bed, the soap will be in the oven overnight. But even though he gets up earlier than I, he never uses the oven at that time of day, so no worries.

Haha, I've left enough weird stuff in the oven over the years that I don't think husband would ever turn it on without checking! If anything I'm probably more likely to forget and do it myself :rolleyes:

This is us exactly. Aura (17 years old) was reading over my shoulder: "didn't he look?" But that's because she's used to pans and whatnot already being in there.

That would be something I would do even if I was the one who put it in the oven in the first place! I had some porcini mushrooms drying in the oven, and I forgot they were in there and turned it on to bake something and totally burned the mushrooms. I was like, "what's that smell?" :rolleyes:

Back