Help! Milk Soap Has Pink Spots & Sweats.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucysky

Reaction score
Hi! I made this soap 3weeks ago. I use a lye master batch so i soap at room temp, used 1/2 of liquid using equal parts of goats milk, cream & coconut milk and sf at 10%(i used a 10% sf for some of my coco milk soap and haven't had problems). Used a wooden soap mold and did not insulate. My soaps gelled.

I checked on them again today and noticed these pink spots. I tried researching it and some said it is like dos. My soaps also sweat, it started the day after i cut it.

Are my soaps usable? It's only for me and my friends. If this is like dos can you rebatch? My poor soap :(

Thanks in advance :)

photo 1-2.JPG

photo 2-2.JPG

I see the pink spots on the tops, but are they inside of the soap?

Did you use any colorant or other additives at all? What kind of conditions are they being stored it? Inside with air conditioning?

Beautiful swirls.

Hi! I added the milks with the oils, then added room temp lye solution. The last time I checked my soap was last week, no spots, just sweat. It's just on the tops of the soap :( My soaps have been on the curing rack ever since.

I just added colloidal oats, and a bit of titanium dioxide to create swirls. Other than that my soap is unscented and uncoloured. I keep my soaps in my soap room on the first floor, no direct sunlight None of the other soaps ever had this.

Last edited:
I've never seen that before but if it is only on the top my thought is it may be some reaction of ash.

I'd try dunking one piece in hot water for a couple seconds and then polish with a cotton cloth. See if that removes it. If not at least you have eliminated one possibility.

ok copy! will treat it as ash, wish me luck! Thanks guys. Will post an update :)

I would say as well it could have something to do with ash build up. I had only one batch of soap that was sweating like mad and it had heaps of ash. It was sweating only on the top were ash was. I've added weird additives like diatomaceous earth and clay while FO I used was vanilla one that makes crazy ash. Anyway, I have few of them left, 6 months into cure they still sweat. More in humid weather and if stands in a humid bathroom on a shelf for a few days. I washed off ash before each of them was to be used and they were perfectly fine in shower.
Regarding DOS they are more yellowish and orange than pink. And in my opinion, DOS don't choose particular oils, I realised the other day, few of my lard/OO bars got tiny DOS. And also DOS looove hot and humid weather.

I would say as well it could have something to do with ash build up. I had only one batch of soap that was sweating like mad and it had heaps of ash. It was sweating only on the top were ash was. I've added weird additives like diatomaceous earth and clay while FO I used was vanilla one that makes crazy ash. Anyway, I have few of them left, 6 months into cure they still sweat. More in humid weather and if stands in a humid bathroom on a shelf for a few days. I washed off ash before each of them was to be used and they were perfectly fine in shower.
Regarding DOS they are more yellowish and orange than pink. And in my opinion, DOS don't choose particular oils, I realised the other day, few of my lard/OO bars got tiny DOS. And also DOS looove hot and humid weather.

Oh no! Humidity :( I'm worried it's DOS. I tried a bar today and I like it. Do you think its still safe to use?

Dos doesn't make soap unsafe, just unpleasant and not last as long as it is a sign of the oils going bad. Never sell dos soap, but you can certainly use it for yourself.

I'm not convinced it is dos though. I've never seen pink dos. I just have no idea what it could be.

There is no chance the soap came in contact with anything? A child wouldn't have set down pink tissue paper on it or anything? I'm just stumped!

Last edited:
Dos doesn't make soap unsafe, just unpleasant and not last as long as it is a sign of the oils going bad. Never sell dos soap, but you can certainly use it for yourself.

I'm not convinced it is dos though. I've never seen pink dos. I just have no idea what it could be.

There is no chance the soap came in contact with anything? A child wouldn't have set down pink tissue paper on it or anything? I'm just stumped!

The soap is just for me and my friends who are so looking forward to it. I'm so happy i can still use it. Thank God it's not Dos. That dos was a scare.

After cutting the soaps they didn't have any pink spots. I keep it at the topmost part of my curing racks. No one really goes in my soaping room. I actually read a blog of a soap maker who kinda experienced the same thing, but her spots came out earlier and after a few day disappeared. She also doesn't know why it happened. I'm hoping mine will also disappear.

Yes, DOS on soap don't make it unsafe, it just might smell a bit off (rancid). I'm still using my facial bars that got a little bit of DOS as they smell fine, however, I had to throw a whole batch (1kg of soap) as it had such a bad case of DOS and smell way too rancid, FO wasn't enough to cover it up. I just couldn't see ourselves using it, every now and then, I guess, every soaper, has to cut losses unfortunately.

Back