Help me with my HP shampoo bars!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapshark

Reaction score
I've been making HP soap for a few years and decided to try a shampoo bar. I got the recipe here:

http://frugallysustainable.com/2011/12/shampoo-bar-soap-recipe/

Luxurious Shampoo Bar Soap Recipe
-9 ounces coconut oil
-9 ounces olive oil
-5 ounces castor oil
-3 ounces jojoba oil
-2 ounces shea butter
-2 ounces cocoa butter
-1 ounce beeswax

-4 ounces water
I tried it out and I like it but I really want it to have more lather and it feels like it doesn't really rinse out of hair very well. I've never done any formulating or tweaking of recipes before - I always just follow the directions, but I am now really determined to make an amazing bar the way I want it. Any suggestions?

Have you checked out Ginny's post on a wonderful shampoo?
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/shampoo-bar-thanks-lindy-30946/
It's long but there are people who have done this one HP. I made a batch of it in Jan (CP) and LOVE it.
Beeswax tends to build up like paraffin (so I've been told) in hair and it's hard to get out. I changed Ginny's recipe a bit, only because I didn't have all the oils on hand that she used.
Good luck

Waxes in soap can decrease lather, so I'd drop the beeswax & jojoba.
With 16% of the recipe being castor oil & 13% of it being waxes, that could be the reason that it feels like it doesn't rinse out of your hair.

I'm assuming you're going by the entire recipe on that site & using a total of 10 oz liquid and not 4 oz, like you posted?

Are you using an ACV rinse afterwards? They recommend that for this.

Waxes in soap can decrease lather, so I'd drop the beeswax & jojoba.
With 16% of the recipe being castor oil & 13% of it being waxes, that could be the reason that it feels like it doesn't rinse out of your hair.

I'm assuming you're going by the entire recipe on that site & using a total of 10 oz liquid and not 4 oz, like you posted?

Are you using an ACV rinse afterwards? They recommend that for this.

Oh yes it's a total of 10 oz of liquid I just tired to copy paste efficiently. sorry! I know it says to rinse with ACV but I would rather have this work without having to do a special rinse. I really appreciate the feedback. I was concerned it was the waxes. So is the next step to reformulate with a soap calculator or is there an easy replacement? should I up a different oil amount?

Soapshark take a look at THIS thread as there is a LOT of information on how to formulate a successful shampoo bar that doesn't require an APV rinse. It can be made either as CP or HP....

Back