Help me use some "lightly used" oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blucrsr

Reaction score
When I first got started, I pulled together about 10 different soap recipes to try. I made a list of all the oil and butter used in them and placed an order for gallon jugs, 7-8lb pails or 10lb boxes depending on how they were offered. I was wondering if anyone could share some recipes that might be higher in Rice Bran Oil and Yellow Shea Butter. It seems I'm not using these as much as all the others (and I actually didn't really want the yellow shea butter, just inexperienced and didn't realize there was a difference). I don't want to make a "100% of one kind of oil" soap either. And yes, I could play around in Soap Calc, but I'm 25 different recipes into experimenting and hoping someone has a tried and true recipe that uses these oils in a higher percentage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My favorite recipe is
40% lard
20% each Shea, olive, and coconut
3 month cure minimum

i think several people have switched out olive oil for using rice bran, so you may be able to switch a few % to use it up

There's a thread on high rice bran oil soap with mine and other people's recipes in there. Other than that one though, I use it between 25-35%, usually also with 10-25 butters (sometimes a combo of 3, or more often, just Shea), with the rest being coconut, lard if non vegan, and another soft oil. My shea is also on the yellow side, it's unrefined and not deodorized. I love both of these!

Perfect. Thank you for the replies. I will followup with a picture and some thoughts once I've made some soap!

40% Lard, 20% CO, 10% Shea, 25% Rice Bran, 5% Castor.
Hello again. I made this recipe a couple of days ago and it is still very soft. Just checking to see if this is your experience (or maybe I've done something wrong). I will state my basement is around 60 degrees F right now so I'm not really sure if the cooler temps are slowing things down. I poured this soap into a single bar 4 cavity mold that has a small leaf pattern on the bottom. The first bar I pressed out stuck to the leaf imprint. Usually after 48 hours everything I make pops right out. Thanks for any advice!!

That is perfectly normal for individual molds. They an take up to a week. My soap comes out of the mold in about 18 hours. However, I use a loaf mold and gel all my soaps. It being cool will play a part as well. You could put the soap in the freezer for an hour or so and may be able to get it out then./

That is perfectly normal for individual molds. They can take up to a week. My soap comes out of the mold in about 18 hours. However, I use a loaf mold and gel all my soaps. It being cool will play a part as well. You could put the soap in the freezer for an hour or so and may be able to get it out then./
Thank you! I'll just let them hang out there for a little longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again. I made this recipe a couple of days ago and it is still very soft. Just checking to see if this is your experience (or maybe I've done something wrong). I will state my basement is around 60 degrees F right now so I'm not really sure if the cooler temps are slowing things down. I poured this soap into a single bar 4 cavity mold that has a small leaf pattern on the bottom. The first bar I pressed out stuck to the leaf imprint. Usually after 48 hours everything I make pops right out. Thanks for any advice!!
It also vastly depends on the amount of water you are using in your recipe. I tend to use a 2:1 water to lye ratio and can unmold in 12 hours usually, sometimes a day - but never longer. I strongly encourage you to discount your water.

I generally use a 33% lye concentration. I'm also thinking I might've done something wrong with this batch now that I popped them from the mold. I posted that question in the lye soap board.

Back