Help me understand the use of Sodium Lactate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shugohmk

Reaction score
Hello. I think I've done enough research to find out about using SL to CP methods. One article stated using 1tsp per lb of oil. While another talked about percentage and discounting.

Now,

Here is my question or questions.

Let's say I want to make a 2 lb soap (32oz) with 3% SL.

Example (not real recipes)
6oz water
13oz lye
32oz total oils

With percentage: Do I use 2% of 32 oz from the total oils? Or do I use 2% of the 6 oz water?
With Discount: Do I use 6oz water - 2% SL?
With tsp per lb of oil: obviously 2tsp total, I'm just confused for this part actually. Because I have no idea if you have to discount each time you use SL.

Thank you!!!

With soaps, additives are normally measured as a percentage of the oil weight (as that is constant, while the amounts of lye and water vary, depending on the individual's superfat level and the concentration used). I've never bothered to subtract from my water weight, but I also don't normally use full water.

Hi Shug,

I may not be the best person to give advice on this b/c I'm not experienced enough, but here's my experience/the feedback I have recieved. I made my first few batches w/o SL and then started adding it b/c it seemed to make it easier to unmold, plus it is supposed to be a humectant, so I thought why not?

I have a problem w/hard water, though, so when I posted my recipe a number of experienced posters suggested omitting the SL, which I now do unless I think I will have a problem unmolding for some reason. The reason for those suggestions was basically that most formulas will permit you to unmold fairly easily, even if you have to wait a bit longer, and that less is more in many cases with soap, especially when you are starting out like we are.

W/r/t how much to add, I just used the MMS calculator, that includes an SL entry, and would to try estimate what percentage was good for unmolding that particular recipe (I think it goes from 1-3% ppo). I just added whatever the amount was to the cooled lye water, did not discount.

Very informative. I didn't think there was a calculator with SL. Do you mind providing the link for that? Thanks!

I add it at 2% PPO and it does make a difference, easier to unmold, better, much better lather:)) I think the bubbles last longer too

I use it in all of my recipes at 2 1/2% of my oil weight. I primarily hot process and it has a huge impact on the final batter after cooking at molding time. It also gives me a stronger bubbly bar in my final product. Hardness overall? I'm not entirely sure because I mostly shoot for hard bars in the first place and without testing it in a known soft bar recipe I can't say that with certainty.

When is the right time to discount water for the SL?

How would you discount if you're making a milk soap at 50/50?

In hot process or rebatched soap, adding sodium lactate makes the hot soap more fluid. In my experience, this type of soap without SL might have a texture like mashed potatoes made without milk -- it might be really well mixed, but it still has a kind of chunky texture. With SL, the same soap might be more like mashed potatoes with a generous dollop of cream -- well mixed and almost pudding-y. The molded soap with SL will often look more like CP soap, rather than the rough, rustic texture that HP or rebatch soap usually has.

Since handcrafted soap normally contains 10% glycerin by weight, give or take a bit, I'd say adding SL as a humectant isn't probably adding much to the party.

Oh, and some use SL when diluting liquid soap -- added at 3% by weight of the dilution water, it helps soften the soap paste to make it dilute faster.

Last edited:
Since we're on the SL topic... I've been hesitant to use it because I'm not sure how customers looking for all natural ingredients might react. I like to keep my ingredient lists pretty short, sweet, and easy to pronounce! LOL

I know SL is derived from vegetable fermentation, but I think the SL we buy for soap making is processed, or maybe nature-identical. Just curious, for those who use SL, how do you respond if you're asked if SL is a "natural" product (I know, "natural" is such a loaded term and means something different to everyone)?

"...So would you add the SL after of before cooking it? ..."

Either would work for HP, in my opinion. Whichever is easiest for you.
You'd add SL to rebatched soap when the soap is soft enough you can stir the SL into the soap.
You'd add SL to the dilution water for liquid soap.

I always added my powdered SL to the water before I added the lye. If I used liquid SL, I think I'd add it in to the oils before the lye water.

It has an odd effect in hp - the soap is basically a gel, but also behaves like liquid. So it's very easy to scoop out of the pot and in doing so it behaves like a liquid, but then it is like a gel when you pour it in to the mould.

When I first made it, I really had no idea if it was right or not! :)

I know what you mean, Gent. The texture is kinda neat, but kinda weird all at the same time. Remember my contribution to the recent thread about boiling and salting-out scrap soap? I added SL to that soap and it got that odd liquidy but gelatinous texture you describe. Kind of like a gravy made with corn starch (aka cornflour) as it cools down.

The Geeky Soaper's word for the day is "thixotropic" (thicks-uh-tropic). More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thixotropy :mrgreen:

Back