help me to make soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamid

Reaction score
Hello. I am from Iran. I used olive oil and coconut oil but my soap dries the skin here due to weather conditions the skin dries. Which oil should I add to make the skin soft and moisturized? We don't have cocoa butter or shea butter hereAvailable oils, grape seed, almond, walnut, castor, peanut, pomegranate, sunflower, corn, ostrich, soybean, lavender, mint,. How much can I add to the proportions of olive and coconut to keep the skin dry What is the ideal ratio of olive oil to coconut oil?

To help us figure out what to suggest: what are your current olive oil/coconut oil/lye ratios? What method are you using (cold process, hot process, other)? What sort of superfat do you use? Do you use a soap calculator?

Lavender and mint oils won’t do much but make your soap smell nice. I know lavender can be used up to 6% (independent of your oil weight) but mint has a much lower useage rate. I wouldn’t worry about those until you figure out your recipe, scents are much too expensive to experiment with.

I have not used or am not familiar with some of the oils on your list, so I’m not going to suggest a recipe. I will warn you that you will get several different answers to your questions. Soap can be very subjective and everyone’s skin reacts a bit differently. My ideal soap uses 20% coconut oil and 40% olive oil which still leaves 40% to fill in from your list. Someone who is more familiar with a wider range of oils will hopefully be able to give you clearer advice.

Thank you very much. In my country the economic situation is very bad. I am forced into a second job. Hope you help. I use the cold method. And sodium hydroxide. But I don't know the meaning of super fat. I use a soap calculator and choose a superfat of 5%. 70% olive and 20% coconut and 10% castor

For maximum coconut fat (76deg) content 25% is recommended, more of which is very drying.

The only exception is pure coconut fat soap with 30% Super Fat (70% of the fat is saponified).

Here's an interesting recipe, I think it might be good. ...

Oliva with just enough coconut (500 + 130)
Liquid content 38%, SF: 5%
500 g olive oil
130 g coconut fat
239 g distilled water (deionized water)
86.98 g NaOH

Thank you very much. In my country the economic situation is very bad. I am forced into a second job. Hope you help. I use the cold method. And sodium hydroxide. But I don't know the meaning of super fat. I use a soap calculator and choose a superfat of 5%. 70% olive and 20% coconut and 10% castor
Castor max 5%, 70% olive 20%coconut76deg,5%castor, 5% palm oil, 5% SF, 30% water, and wait about 6 monts for it.

It's a simple recipe. It's not good? nemjó.jpg

Yes of course. I used this ratio but my customers were not satisfied[/ATTACH]

Last edited:
How long after you made it did you use the soap? The problem with olive oil at more than 30%, at least for me, is it will be drying unless you cure it for a long time, like more than 6mos maybe. 20% coconut is ok for some people.

Maybe if you try your soap after a longer cure it won't be too drying anymore.

Also, since you are using a calculator, play around with amounts of your available oils until you get numbers you like. For example, my recipes are usually only 10-12 cleansing but around 52-56 conditioning and I superfat only 2-4% most of the time.

Thanks for the guide. I'll use it six weeks later. One of my clients requested a thousand soaps. Which formula do you recommend?

Last edited:
I would never use a 30% SF. For 100% CO soap I use 20% SF. I too am another one who doesn’t like olive oil above 30%. I would lower your Olive oil, add Almond oil at 15%, Coconut at 15% and a 7% SF.

65%OO
15% CO
15% Almond
5%Castor
7% SF

then give it a good long cure. High OO soap needs a longer cure to be a good soap. If you could access Palm oil it would help greatly.

Comment on this soap formula

Attachments

• Screenshot_۲۰۱۹۱۱۰۳-۲۲۱۳۴۹_1.jpg
    Screenshot_۲۰۱۹۱۱۰۳-۲۲۱۳۴۹_1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 21
@Hamid, 1.5 kilos of soap to test is a scary amount if something goes wrong. Why not try a smaller batch first then see if you like the results before making a huge batch.

I understand the need to make money but unfortunately you won't be able to do it quickly with soap. You need long cure times if you're mainly going to use olive oil and you need to test your soap yourself before selling.

Even if we help you with a formula, being in different countries might affect how that soap feels. What if your client doesn't like his 1,000 bars?

You'll waste more money in supplies than make money if something goes wrong with your big batch.

Latest posts

Back