Help me solve a sensitivity mystery

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It takes a large amount of AC to color soap black and the bubbles will always be colored, but I never had it stain. Although I always put warning labels on my handmade soaps against using $20 white washcloths with colored soaps due to potential staining. I usually used AC for black swirls and could get a good black but in my charcoal soaps I did not go for solid black it would take too much AC which could result in a very scratchy soap. When the soap is wet it may be a pretty shiny black but will dry to dark charcoal if you try coloring the entire soap. I found it better to add in some black oxide to boost the black.

I have two soap recipes with no coconut oil and all my other recipes only have 10% coconut oil. My skin does not like coconut oil!
I use a very low SF on all my soaps because my olive oil is high. Don't be afraid to cut you coconut oil out entirely. My soaps still lather. It might be worthwhile making a batch without coconut oil to rule it out as the problem child.

Try the equivalent of 2 1/2 level teaspoons of AC in 900g of oils. I dissolve the AC in 2 tsp glycerine and SB it into the oils thoroughly before adding the lye. It goes black (to my eye) but doesn't have grey bubbles or stain. If you hand blend it it goes grey with black dots.
But it might depend on the type of AC too.

Last edited:
What fabulous advice, both of you thank you!

Casting my mind back, an early kit I tried from BB had the AC blended in the way you mentioned @penelopejane, SB into the oils before adding lye, and those bars came out jet black and glossy. I actually didn't like the final product, it was scratchy like @cmzaha mentioned and never used it. I'll have to find a bar and see if it made for grey bubbles.

I didn't realize there could be such a difference between SB and hand blending a colorant.

Later this week, I'm taking my first step away from micas and trying out some natural colorants. I'll keep this advice in mind. Thanks!

What fabulous advice, both of you thank you!

Casting my mind back, an early kit I tried from BB had the AC blended in the way you mentioned @penelopejane, SB into the oils before adding lye, and those bars came out jet black and glossy. I actually didn't like the final product, it was scratchy like @cmzaha mentioned and never used it. I'll have to find a bar and see if it made for grey bubbles.

I didn't realize there could be such a difference between SB and hand blending a colorant.

Later this week, I'm taking my first step away from micas and trying out some natural colorants. I'll keep this advice in mind. Thanks.
DH told me about SB vs HB it is scientific and has something to do with shear! 🤣

I dissovle the AC in water or glycerine and I think that has an effect on the scratchiness I used to get - or it might be because I use less?

Look for posts on natural colourants and save some money. I only use natural colourants but since my soap requires a 12 week + cure most don't work. Clays, amoretto, coffee, cocoa and AC are great. I am hugely allergic to spiralina but it doesn't work anyway.

@penelopejane Interesting..... I'm familiar with the concept of shear when it comes to cooking, whisking eggs, for example, there's several ways to whisk your eggs depending on what you're hoping to achieve. Makes sense that the same would apply here.

I will be doing some reading up this weekend for sure on natural colorants, yet another exciting chapter in the wide world of soap! Thank you so much!

@KiwiMoose so I gave your suggestion for reformulation a go this weekend, not exactly what you suggested, but close. Both loaves unmolded beautifully and cut lovely. The scents are divine: batch 1, batch 2. I didn't get a chance to get to the store for some aloe, but I'm going to try that next. And then dabble with sorbitol or sugar. @cmzaha @AliOop Thank you all so much!

Fingers x'd this solves the sensitivity issue. @Zing I'm like you, love coconut oil and lots of bubbles!

Next, I have to figure out why my AC keeps turning greenish-grey. I seem to have zero luck with it no matter what fragrance. M

@cmzaha This is so true, and I am so humbled by not only the wealth of knowledge here, but the generosity.
You know, toddling into this adventure starting with a BB kit, you get a couple under your belt and you actually think you know something... then start experimenting... 50+ batches later only to realize you KNOW NOTHING : )

Like making wine or bourbon, its a long-game but a good one.
Beautiful soaps! Are you aware that activated charcoal can be drying to skin? It bothered my son, made him itchy and dry.

That is so kind of you; thank you!

I was NOT aware; thank you for saying something. I stay away from Tea Tree oil because I find it drying.

Honestly, aside from one instance, my experiences have largely been so miserable with AC color-wise I'm not using much of it.

Having said that, the bar from the previous page has finally darkened to an ashy-black, losing most of that hideous green tinge, and looks lovely when in use. And the bubbles are mostly clear, which is a huge bonus!

Attachments

• IMG_4885.jpg
    IMG_4885.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 0
FYI My daughter used to end up with infections similar to yeast ones and her OB-GYN doctor ask her if she was washing her vaginal area with soap. And she was. The doc told her that you don't have to use anything but water in that area to clean it. It needs to be washed but does not need soap or other so-called feminine products used. She has done that now for over 15 years and has never had another infection or irritated area. This may not work for all but it sure did for my daughter.

That said, I use CO at 5-10% maximum in our soaps other than for my grandson who loves it at 20-25%. Aloe juice and sorbitol are my "suds" makers for my low CO bars.

Latest posts

Back