HELP ME SALVAGE MY SALT SOAP!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mouse

Reaction score
I did a salt soap yesterday, with a good bit of some very high quality essential oils, plus I added a bit of rose clay and a good bit of finely grated soap for color contrast. The problem is that it's an gooey mess today- because I used an oil formula not suited for salt soap (It's only my 2nd salt batch, and I forgot :( )
I used:
11.10 oz OO
10 oz CO
4.35 oz Crisco
A dollop of castor oil at trace

I am thinking of making a 2 pound batch of pure coconut soap, heating the failed batch and mixing it into the coconut oil soap, and adding additional salt. But I am afraid that I still won't have a high enough ratio of CO.

Also, can you even rebatch a salt soap? Heat it in the microwave?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Could you be more specific in regards to 'gooey mess'? Did it separate, or is oil leaking out? Did it gel?

IrishLass :)

Hmmm... gooey mess of a salt soap...

Did you use Dead Sea Salts by any chance?
They are not really "Salt" in the sense that most people think of salt.
Mostly they are hygroscopic minerals that pull moisture from the air.

Also, for most salt soaps, a MUCH higher percentage of CO is necessary to overcome the lather inhibiting effects of the salt.

How much salt did you add ?

If you don't have high enough coconut, you can lower the salt contents ...

by "gooesy mess" I just meant that it didn't harden up quickly like salt soap does; it cut easily and was very sticky, surely due to the fact that I didn't do a CO soap with it, but the formula I described. I used regular sea salt, and just put some in; i didn't measure it, but I imagine about 4 cups of salt. It has hardened up somewhat now, but I still think I'm going to do a 100% CO soap and mix the crumbled batch into it. We'll see what happens!

Latest posts

Back