Help Me Pick Which Mica Sets From Nurture Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellonFriend

Reaction score
I'm looking to get some more reliable micas to use in my Cold Process soap. I've decided to go with some micas from Nurture because I love their free shipping over $30 (I do not like paying shipping).

I'd like to have a decent amount of variety to work with, but I don't want to spend a ton, so I'm thinking of going with two different sets. I think I'd like to go with the Vibrance set as a base and then one other, but between the neons, feeling groovy, and the epic color set, I just can't decide! Which one do you think would give me the most color options? Which two would you go with?

Here's the link to their website:
Color Sets

Be sure to utilize this from Nurture for mixing your own shades: Color Blender

She also sells a tool for mixing colors (or you can purchase on Amazon). Mica Blender Mixing Tool

I have never been disappointed with Nurture's micas, but rather than buying the sample sets, I prefer the 1 ounce jars. However, if you have not used their micas before, I can understand why you might like a sampler set. The two I recommend are: Vibrance (which you already decided on) and Neon (I love the neons). That does not total $30, though, so I'd recommend a 1 ounce jar of one color in your favorite hue.

You really can't go wrong with any of them. The one thing I've learned, though, is that I much prefer jars to the little bags. She doesn't sell her sample sizes in jars anymore, just like she no longer sells 2 oz bottles of fragrance. I miss both of those, but I'm sure they aren't cost effective for her.

Carly B - why do you prefer jars? I was thinking about getting the bags and transferring to jars, but, if it really is a question on extreme messiness each time you open a bag, I may just reconsider and choose jars from the get go.

Thanks guys for all the advice. I'm not sure why I didn't get alerts for the rest of the replies, sorry that I didn't see these sooner. I'm going to go with just the vibrance sampler set because I have a design in the works that I don't think the green in the Epic colors will work for and if I like working with them I'll add on jars of others in the future.

Not Carly B, but as I mentioned above, I prefer the jars to the bags as well. My reason is not only the messiness of using the baggies, but oftentimes those zip-lock mechanisms fail before I have used up all the mica inside the baggies. I have lost track of how many times I had to tape a baggy closed because the zip lock failed, and using the micas from a baggy that will not seal can get really messy thereafter.

I buy mica in baggies from Micas & More as well, and she does not sell in jars, so long ago, I started using small plastic containers to transfer micas into (using a funnel to minimize the mess during the transfer process.)

So when I started buying from Nurture, I had already realized I don't like the baggies for long-term storage.

It's true that the jars take up more space and can be annoying trying to read the labels, but I also learned to add a label to the top of the lid as well, so I can read the color while looking down as well as while looking at a jar face-on.

Carly B - why do you prefer jars? I was thinking about getting the bags and transferring to jars, but, if it really is a question on extreme messiness each time you open a bag, I may just reconsider and choose jars from the get go.
I also prefer jars, for several reasons. It's much less messy to open the lid and scoop out what you need, without getting mica all over your hands as you dip into a bag opening. They are also much easier to store by stacking on a shelf; the bags have to be corralled into a container so that they don't fall everywhere. Because mica gets in the zip-close grooves at the top, the bags also become harder to fully close over time - meaning that when they do fall over (because bags don't stand upright like jars do), some mica inevitably falls out of the unzipped part.

That being said, I understand the desire to be more economical with shipping weight. I've had a few mica-transferring sessions where I moved the product from the bag into a repurposed jar. Everything is done inside the laundry sink so the mess is mostly contained, and I can easily clean up with a few alcohol sprays. If that weren't an option, I'd probably do it outside.

Edited: I see Earlene already posted many of the same thoughts I had, so there you have it - 3 jar lovers and so far, no bag lovers.

For all the reasons already given, I much prefer jars. I've ordered lots of samples which used to come in jars. When I've emptied a jar I saved it and cleaned it out if I'm going to use it for a different color. I still order sample sizes of colors to try, or of those I don't use too often and transfer from the bag to a jar. For the colors I use most, I order the larger jars. I too write the name of the color on a label and stick it to the jar lid. I store my micas in shoebox size containers.

I'm looking to get some more reliable micas to use in my Cold Process soap. I've decided to go with some micas from Nurture because I love their free shipping over $30 (I do not like paying shipping).

I'd like to have a decent amount of variety to work with, but I don't want to spend a ton, so I'm thinking of going with two different sets. I think I'd like to go with the Vibrance set as a base and then one other, but between the neons, feeling groovy, and the epic color set, I just can't decide! Which one do you think would give me the most color options? Which two would you go with?

Here's the link to their website:
Color Sets
I got the vibrancy set & like it but was just given a free sample of “Spring” green mica & ABSOLUTELY love it. Here’s photos. Used a 1/4 tsp for 16 oz oils 75374262-DA63-4B4A-8983-7AC19E67F8DB.jpeg

Thank you all for your input on jars vs bags. I did consider the mess of the transfer to jar, and I do see the corralling of colors as an issue. The messiness is another concern, and like the idea of being able to stack them neatly. I like to have things neat and accessible, so this helps tremendously.

I like the jars because I can just reach in there with a spoon and take what I need, then easily close it up. I tend to make a mess with the bags, and so much mica clings to the sides and sometimes gets in the little ziplock-type top so it's impossible to close.

Edited to add that I store the jars upside down in a drawer, so I can easily see what the color is.

I finally made my choices. My selections include Proud Peacock, bronze brown, savage garden, dark navy and copper penny, all in jars. I got a sample bag of nocturnal in case I needed to darken either the copper or bronze a little. I saw the tobacco caramel by Future Primitive Soap Co./ Tiggy Makes Soap that I would like to try. I also thought the blues and green would look good in a swirl together. I can't wait to see what it all looks like!
Thanks for the jars vs bags discussion. I decided it wasn't worth it to purchase jars and transfer them - the $.90 difference to have it done and not worry about the mess was enough for me.

Back