Help Me Figure Out Labels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalk Creek

Reaction score
Hi. Trying to figure the FDA label requirements on soap. I know it's exempt from the cosmetic labeling, but have some questions.

Can I list my ingredients by common names, like avocado oil instead of Persea gratissima?

I know I can't say it heals without throwing it into drug labeling, but can I say soothing? What about moisturizing?

I have the FDA warning statement on my other products, along with a "use within xx days of purchase" and "discontinue use if irritation occurs", wondering if I should add these to my soap labels also.

Also on any of your products that have peppermint, rose, jasmine EO's do you add some sort of "this EO is antispasmodic and should not be used by pregnant women"?

I've been making CP soaps and things for years for myself but am just starting to sell and don't want to be sued! I am looking at the soap guild for insurance, but do they cover the other products as well? I didn't sound like it from what I could find on their site.

I'd appreciate your thougths, thanks in advance.

I didn't think you could say healing. I thought it had to be "xxxx is known to help heal xxxx", not make an outright claim. But I could be wrong.

I would definitely add the irritation warning to soaps. I'm redoing my label to state this.

Sorry, Bret, you're right. That was a typo, I meant to say I know I can't say soap heals. Just the kind of day I've been having!

Chalk Creek said:
Sorry, Bret, you're right. That was a typo, I meant to say I know I can't say soap heals. Just the kind of day I've been having!

That law is so funny. I read one time that the way that law is written would make it illegal to say that drinking water would cure, treat, or prevent dehydration. Because according to law only a "drug" can legally make those claims.

Can I list my ingredients by common names, like avocado oil instead of Persea gratissima?

You must use the universal INCI names incase a non english speaker picks up an item they will be able to decifer the label. I would write it like this: Persea (avocado oil) gratissima

Also on any of your products that have peppermint, rose, jasmine EO's do you add some sort of "this EO is antispasmodic and should not be used by pregnant women"?

Don't know of you MUST, but I would.

Back