Help me choose oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfsnaps

Reaction score
I am going to make some purchases on Amazon for soaping stuff. I will be getting some new molds, colors, and oils.

What oils do you recommend? So far in my cart I have castor, palm, jojoba, and shea butter oil. Anything else?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Thanks, I guess I should have mentioned I already have lard, coconut oil, and olive oil. Just wanted to incorporate some more 'exotic' stuff.

Personally I would never waste jojoba in a rinse-off product, but that's just me. If you decide to get it make sure you are getting pure jojoba (it is very expensive) and not something that is mostly a blend of carrier oils. A lot of things listed as jojoba (and argan) are actually only about 2% or so of the good stuff.

What are you planning to make? Is this strictly for CP soap, or are you thinking about other B&B products? For just soap it really sounds like you have what you need to get started, if you are going to branch out a bit a few items that do double duty are shea butter, sweet almond oil, and avocado oil.

I know Prime is really tempting to save on shipping costs, but Bulk Apothecary has some prices that beat Amazon even if you add the shipping in.

I ordered Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, and Lanolin as some of my "exotics". But they are more for lip balm and body butter than soaps. I will be ordering Turkey Red Castor Oil(sulfonated castor oil) for my liquid soaps next time I order something from somewhere that has it. I am also going to order some of the natural colorants and herbals for infusions. But the herbals again are more for body butter.

I did try the exotic oils in soaps. Without hesitation, I can tell you never again. I like the soaps with just coconut oil, lard, olive oil better than the fancy schmancy ones. I do like GM in soap, so if I were ordering, I would order some powdered GM if the price is better than Walmart.

*EDIT* Let me second the Sweet Almond Oil suggestion. It does amazing things in liquid soaps and shampoos. I use it more than Jojoba.

Last edited:
Thanks, I went with Bulk Apothecary. I bought Sweet Almond oil, Jojoba (whoops?), Shea, avocado oil, palm, and aloe. I just wanted a nice assortment so I could mix and match. I appreciate all the input! I also bought some cute molds, colors, and fragrances (Ok, I went a little crazy and got some retail therapy). Can't wait for it all to get here...then I am going on a soaping binge!

I know Prime is really tempting to save on shipping costs, but Bulk Apothecary has some prices that beat Amazon even if you add the shipping.

I did try the exotic oils in soaps. Without hesitation, I can tell you never again. I like the soaps with just coconut oil, lard, olive oil better than the fancy schmancy ones.

I second that on both comments. My first order was from Amazon, because I have prime, but I felt some of my oils were "old"and overpriced.

And, after many bars using lots of "exotics", I stick to using mainly olive oil, coconut oil, lard or palm oil, and castor oil. No one ever seems to notice a difference with Shea, avocado, jojoba, etc.

Happy soaping.

Amazon has a 9lb Snappy Popcorn coconut oil for a good price. It's the only one I buy on Amazon. You will probably find better prices and quality on exotic oils elsewhere.

They have pretty good price on Hemp Oil, it's $12.09 for 24 ounces, and they have 7 pounds of yellow Shea Butter for $15.00 plus shipping of about $7 (private seller). I agree with the other posts, some of the items are priced lower elsewhere. One item that I love is my 60 ounce stainless steel pitcher from update international. I use it for my lye water.

Back