HELP, is there a tutorial for how to navigate the forum?

Discussion in 'SMF Announcements, Comments, Help & Rules' started by Kelly Frizzell, Jan 3, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 3, 2019 #1

Kelly Frizzell

Kelly Frizzell

Kelly Frizzell

Supporting Member

I have a few questions:
    1. I often seem to get lost on this forum. Sometimes when I log in, I can see/find what I am looking for and other times I cannot. I just spent about 20 minutes (OK, I am just guessing on the actual time - but it feels like that long, or longer) trying to find the SOAPMakers Friend link on here. There is one, right?
    2. I also never seem to remember how to find threads that I have asked questions on to see if there are answers for me.
    3. Now that I am a supporting member, where do I go to turn off banner ads?
    4. How do I turn off the automatic emails, that arrive daily, stating what new posts there were that day. I am really only interested in receiving an email if there has actually been a response to a question I personally asked. Is this possible?
    5. I finally did find the SMcalculator by typing it in to a browser. I seem to have a different password for the calculator than for the forum, should I have the same one? or a different one to log in?

2. Jan 3, 2019 #2

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

Hi Kelly!

Looks like you figured out the answer to question 1

2) At the top left side of the forum page you'll see the following clickable items. Click on "My Replies" to see your posts and the threads they were posted in):
    upload_2019-1-3_1-52-9.png

3) On the top right of the forum page you'll see the following clickable items. Click on the person icon. From there you'll be given clickable options. Click on the "My Preferences" option and you'll be able to turn ads off from there. To turn the scrolling banner off located at the top of the forum, just click on the X located in the upper right corner of the banner itself.

upload_2019-1-3_1-54-51.png

4) The same as the answer to #3 above.

5) At this time, I believe the calculator requires a different password apart from the main forum as it's still in development.

IrishLass :)

3. Jan 4, 2019 #3

Kelly Frizzell

Kelly Frizzell

Kelly Frizzell

Supporting Member

Thank-you, IrishLass!! (Does your name mean you are actually from/living in Ireland?)
    I now know how to do those things -yea!!
    But of course, now I have another question... What does the sidebar do? One of the options was to turn off the sidebar, but I did not want to do that until I know what it is and if I need it or if it is a distraction.

4. Jan 4, 2019 #4

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin

The side bar lists a couple of ads, and a box with recent posts in it. It does not hurt to turn it off.

And to stop the daily emails, you will have to go to the bottom of that email and click on UNSUBSCRIBE HERE.

5. Feb 4, 2019 #5

LaToya

LaToya

LaToya

@Angie mine has two options IMG_20190204_025552.jpg

6. Feb 4, 2019 #6

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin

upload_2019-2-4_12-35-1.png

That is what is on the daily emails I receive. Are you seeing it on the app? And is that android or apple?
    Mine is laptop, Win10/Chrome.

7. Feb 4, 2019 #7

Kelly Frizzell

Kelly Frizzell

Kelly Frizzell

Supporting Member

I have an iPhone.
    Thanks, I do not mind getting emails that respond to a question I have posted and I do think I have it set for that (or something close enough) now, so all is good.

8. Feb 4, 2019 #8

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin

There are the responses to threads here, called ALERTS. You can set that to email or not email. So you have them set to email.

The newsletter each day is what I posted the bottom of. Some members don't want to get it and don't realize that unsubscribe permanently stops it.

9. Feb 28, 2019 #9

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

We are one... Supporting Member

Hi @Angie - I have a couple of questions

1. is there a way to stop email alerts for watched threads, but keep the alerts alive in the forum - in other words, when i sign on to the forum still see them by clicking the bell icon, but no email alerts? i don't completely understand why I am getting email alerts for all watched / created threads given the choice in made in the attached screen shot?

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 06.15.52.png

2. is there a "one step" way to unwatch threads or do I need to click on each thread, click unwatch, then verify my request?

3. and - can i stop individual email alerts and still keep the "yesterday's activity?"

Thanks Angie! C

10. Feb 28, 2019 #10

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin

1. Yesterday’s Activity will not be effected by any settings you make in your Alert Preferences or anywhere else on the forum. It is a separate entity.

2. You will have to Click on Watched threads and unwatch each. There is not a mass unwatch.

3. Make sure to go to the User Control Panel and click on Alert Preferences to set how you want the alerts to act.

11. Feb 28, 2019 #11

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

We are one... Supporting Member

Thanks @Angie - will give the User Control Panel a shot!

Angie likes this.