Help! I used an aluminum pot, should I throw the batch away?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vampireslayer

Reaction score
I made quite a few batches of soap about 2 or 3 years ago, I really got into it at the time and spent a lot of time reading, buying essential oils, specialty oils etc. I ended up with LOTS of variously scented soaps that were wonderful, but somehow got away from the hobby and haven't made a batch in several years.

As I was getting together a gift basket for my kids' teachers, I pulled out some of my scented homemade soap and realized I was actually running low! I was amazed since I'd had SO MUCH of it for so long.

Anyway, I decided on the spur of the moment to go ahead and make another couple of batches last night. I was sure I remembered how, I still had all my equipment, still had lye, essential oils, just ran to the store for some more olive oil and goat's milk.

The glass coffee pot I'd used before, for the lye/water mixture was cracked, and I remembered the container needed to be heatproof (but I forgot the rule about aluminum) so I found an old aluminum camping coffee pot, and used that instead. As you can expect, it made a HUGE reactive mess! The lye & goat's milk turned orange, began to steam and GROW and FROTH. My husband and I didn't quite know what to do, so we dumped the growing mess into the ready pot of oils, and stirred. It was actually moss green for a while, then turned a nasty orange brown color. We decided it would be "dog washing soap" so I threw in some orange oil and some citronella oil (keeps the fleas/ticks away from the dogs). Now it's ready to be cut, it actually smells great, but with the reaction of the aluminum, is it safe to use on a dog's coat? Will I be actually rubbing aluminum into their skin?

Would it be safe to use for me? Other than being an ugly color, it really does smell nice!

Thanks!
VS

P.S. In future, I will go back and re-read the basics before attempting to resurrect an old hobby!

Personally, i wouldn't want to risk it, even on my dog. I'm no expert though so you might want to get another oppinion.

Back