Help I overheated my soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapHappyNYC

Reaction score
I made soap last night and put the container on top of the radiator intending to remove it after a few minutes, only to forget it overnight. This morning it looks like gel with a thin layer of oil on top. I am leaving it uncovered and off the radiator, but want to know if there is anything I can do to save this? It's a gift and I only have a few days left ...!nn

Aww, I'm sorry this happened. You can let it sit but from my experience if there is a lot of oil on top you may need to rebatch it. I hate when this happens as I've found that even when I've left it for a week or so mine have still been oily. I hope it works out for you.

Put it in a crockpot (if you have one, otherwise a stainless steel pan at least twice the size so it's only half full of soap batter), make sure you get ALL the oil, gel, everything, stir and cook. If using a pan you can use the oven or put it in another pan of simmering water for a double boiler. Cook and stir, stir and cook. It should all come together, but if it keeps separating you may have mis-measured somewhere along the way.

Good Luck.

Thanks. It looks like it hardened some over the last few hours and the top may end up a little cracked. I'll give it another day and if it doesn't work I'll cook it. Seems like the essential oil didn't blend in for whatever reason because the oil that is dripping is fragrance oil. Maybe it will be as simple as wiping it down? (I hope!)

Well, it solidified but some strange looking crust formed on the outside. It was supposed to be beer soap, 10% superfat with olive, coconut and palm oil and some ground oatmeal. Strange that it didn't work. I guess I will reheat and try again.

I think so. I read online that when the soap is left uncovered and the conditions are right, the soda ash will take on a crystallized form. I cut it and the soap is firm but very oily, so I am going to try my first rebatch. Fingers crossed that this works. I don't know who is suffering more, me or the soap! lol

Ok so I heated it up and it kind of looks like a semi-fluffy porridge. Hopefully it will look good in 24 hours

Last edited:
Back