Help, I need some expert advice!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilo

Reaction score
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:27 am Post subject: I need some expert advice!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI All
I am new to this forum and somewhat new to soapmaking. I have made about 8 batches in my kitchen, same recipe, diffrent additives, mainly for personal use/giving to my friends.
I have had success all but twice, the last batch really urking me. I followed this recipe

12 oz coconut oil
12 ounces olive oil
20 vegetable shortening (I used crisco)
16 oz of water (tapwater which I weighed)
and 6oz of lye

1.5oz cocobutter for superfatting
approx 2oz EO (peppermint/eucaliptis/lavander)
2tbsp of ground mint - all which were added after trace

It never traced fantastically (still trying to master "the moment") and is still quite liquidy after 36 hours in the mold (PVC tubing)
any comments on what I've done wrong???
How long can you wait for soap to solidfy? Usually it hardens enough to cut in 24 hours.
Should I continue to wait for it to solidify??
HELP!

.........I waited about 20 minutes for this recipe to trace......Lilo

I mixed this recipe by hand (usually do, although I'm getting the impression that I should be using something a little more industrious, such as the stick blender)
I mixed steadily in a figure eight pattern for about 20 minutes - non stop
I use PVC piping for my molds and saran wrap the top, cover with about 3 towels and put in my basement (no draft and not cold)
Sound like any roadbumps so far?????

Did you use pep EO each time? Fragrances can make or break a batch!

I've used peppermint before in my soaps, but not this particular brand. Now that you've mentioned it, the other batch that I made that did not turn out had PEP EO as well. I have purchased it from a soap supplier (new directions aromatics) so the quality shouldn't be of concern.
So, is PEP EO an iffy additive???

It sounds like it didnt trace all the way maybe... check over a few more days and see..

So,
question number two for me would be this......
If my batch did not trace properly in the pot, and it is quite liquidy for a few days in the molds but DOES eventually solidify, is it still a SAFE batch of soap to use???......and by the way, this forum is so great. thanks to all who take the time to read and answer so many questions!!

Lilo said:
So,
question number two for me would be this......
If my batch did not trace properly in the pot, and it is quite liquidy for a few days in the molds but DOES eventually solidify, is it still a SAFE batch of soap to use???......and by the way, this forum is so great. thanks to all who take the time to read and answer so many questions!!

You will have o test the PH balance and see if its lye heavy or if there is noticable oil seperation etc.

Back