Help! I need a diagnosis.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovesoap

Reaction score
Help.gif

Okay so, I thought this was only a td issue I have been having lately. I am seeing it in every batch for the last probably 8 batches. I thought it was perhaps stearic lines but, dh opened a new bucket and melted it down and stirred. What is up?[/img]

Oils are within 10 degrees of each other, soaping around 113,112 degrees. I am at my wits end here.

So this one doesn't have TD?

I would think fragrance but the last 8 batches probably didn't have the same fragrance.

Did you get a new supply of a certain oil? New lye supply?

Same formula I have used for months with no problems. I have added castor just since Christmas but, looking back this started right before Christmas.

I thought I was getting this with td soaps only until this one.

My soaps are scented with eo's. I stickblend eo's in at light trace.

This colorant was a natural clay that I haven't used before but, sb'd in nicely.

Ilovesoap said:
Help.gif

Okay so, I thought this was only a td issue I have been having lately. I am seeing it in every batch for the last probably 8 batches. I thought it was perhaps stearic lines but, dh opened a new bucket and melted it down and stirred. What is up?[/img]

Oils are within 10 degrees of each other, soaping around 113,112 degrees. I am at my wits end here.

I got something like this in my cocoa butter bar, where I used Co, CB and palm. I think its the high stearic acid thing.

I got this before too, but I used lard, OO,CO,avocado,castor. I would like to know this mystery :)

I ended up having to change up my recipe. I had been using a recipe for several months that I was very happy with. I originally had those lines only here and there but, then I started to get them every batch. I originally thought that it might be due to the drop in temperature inside the house - I tried extra insulation, that didn't help, I tried soaping warmer, cooler - all sorts of things. I finally changed up my recipe (I was also having trouble with td especially)

The stearic was at 3 on my first recipe and is at 3 as well in the new recipe. Sooo, I don't believe it to be stearic. *However that was my first thought and I had a new bucket of palm on hand so I melted it all down and stirred and still had the line.

Ilovesoap, I had thought it might be due to the temperature drop too. I had this happen in two batches. Both times, I soaped around 110 degrees and the only thing I did differently was that I had soaped near an open window. No problems since then.

Back