Help- I have Goat Problems!!! :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leansoapqueen

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal- any help would be greatly appreciated!! I usually make CP soap but I can't have lye because of my kids so I'm doing MP and rebatch. So I get so I get some goat milk sp soap that was very fresh it seemed- The rebatch was easy to do but my cranberry fig soap smelled more like Goat's butt- than soap. Is there a smell to goat milk soap or did I do something wrong- bad base. It seems to be getting better now but I could never imagine using this unscented unless the smell goes away- anyone else experience this or know about it? One more thing, kinda unrelated but it is really dark when melting down and then it seems to be getting lighter as it sets but any ideas about colorants or colors that would work other then brown?
Thanks again,
Danni :(

I made one batch of goats milk CP soap without any fragrance at all. The recipe uses 2 ounces of sweet almond oil and I added 2 ounce of oatmeal. It made a very nice soap that smells sort of nutty - not bad at all. So I don't think goats milk soap has to smell particularly bad.

leansoapqueen said:
Ok here's the deal- any help would be greatly appreciated!! I usually make CP soap but I can't have lye because of my kids so I'm doing MP and rebatch. So I get so I get some goat milk sp soap that was very fresh it seemed- The rebatch was easy to do but my cranberry fig soap smelled more like Goat's butt- than soap. Is there a smell to goat milk soap or did I do something wrong- bad base. It seems to be getting better now but I could never imagine using this unscented unless the smell goes away- anyone else experience this or know about it? One more thing, kinda unrelated but it is really dark when melting down and then it seems to be getting lighter as it sets but any ideas about colorants or colors that would work other then brown?
Thanks again,
Danni :(

Hi Danni! Nope you did not do anything wrong really. Goat Milk soap can have a strong ammonia smell to it at first, but will dissipate as the soap ages. The scent that you used will come through and all will be fine. I need to post a tutorial of how I do my GM soap. I do not freeze it or anything. I add it during the emulsification stage. I'll tutorial this and perhaps Mandy will make it a "sticky." The second question don't quite follow your thoughts. What is getting brown when melting? I hope I can help you in any way I can. I started out making GM soap 2-1/2 years ago and have never made anything else! 1 batch only that was not GM soap in my entire history. I just love GM soaps!

Paul.... :) :wink:

As for the color, I get a nice golden color in my goats milk soap but I do that by using frozen goats milk and when mixing the frozen goats milk with lye, I put the chilled bowl in the sink surrounded by water and ice.

The one time I added lye to the liquid goats milk it got very hot and I did get a dark brown liquid from the reaction. From what I read, heating the goats milk causes the sugars in the goats milk to caramelize. Thus the brown color.

leansoapqueen said:
Ok here's the deal- any help would be greatly appreciated!! I usually make CP soap but I can't have lye because of my kids so I'm doing MP and rebatch. So I get so I get some goat milk sp soap that was very fresh it seemed- The rebatch was easy to do but my cranberry fig soap smelled more like Goat's butt- than soap. Is there a smell to goat milk soap or did I do something wrong- bad base.

I use SFIC Goats Milk base. I've never rebatched though. I do an unscented Goats Milk/Honey base combo with added honey powder and ground oatmeal that is just wonderful. It has a slight milky-ish scent to it. And it's never turned brown. It's a nice creamy color.

Thank you! Thank you! Paul- you were 100% right. That goat butt smell went away and it smells like the FO- now maybe next time I'll use more soap- I have soap brownies instead of bars. I knew it but this was my first rebatch so I figured I'd go small and I didn't have enough soap in my mold. I have used GM soap before which is why I chose it to rebatch it and if I can use my lye safely here like when my baby is asleep I'll use it in CP. It is wonderful soap.
I still want to try your salt bars and pepperi's soap too- I didn't forget about you guys- need to wait for payday! :)
Thanks so much for all the help and the GM with oatmeal I'll have to try that.
So even unscented that ammonia smell goes away after cure?

Paul,
This was a rebatch so when I was melting down the CP GM base in the oven it was turning a really brown color and after I mixed the FO it turned tan so I wasn't sure if it was able to be colored- I wanted to try some micas I had but I wasn't sure if the color would take. That was the second part.
CP sure seems a lot easier than rebatch or maybe I'm just more used to CP.

Smell it like it is....

Your hilarious!! :)
Sorry I don't know your actual name... :(
Your website is beautiful by the way- not sure if I told you that but it really is!

2 things....:)

Please correct me if Iam wrong - I already know this answer:
Lye is needed for CP soap- correct? There is no Cp without Lye? I have just a seen a few soapers out there who have left the NAOH out of their ingredient list but are advertising CP. Noone on here- so I'm just wondering- isn't that false advertising? Not a big deal but how do you guys feel about it?
Danni

Re: 2 things....:)

leansoapqueen said:
Please correct me if Iam wrong - I already know this answer:
Lye is needed for CP soap- correct? There is no Cp without Lye? I have just a seen a few soapers out there who have left the NAOH out of their ingredient list but are advertising CP. Noone on here- so I'm just wondering- isn't that false advertising? Not a big deal but how do you guys feel about it?
Danni

You can not have soap without lye in some forum. Liquid soap is made from potassium hydroxide, while hard bar soap is made from sodium hydroxide. There is not a bar of Dial, Dove, Zest, or my soap that does not contain sodium hydroxide. :shock: PERIOD! :D Your right, I've heard others say the same thing and it is hogwash! The brand name soaps, or, rather, detergent bars, call it "sodium tallowate, or tallow, sodium lardate, or lard, it's on the back, just look! Fancy names! HA! :lol:
On the back of my soap, I list all the oils by weight, most to least, and them other ingredients such as aloe vera juice, goat milk, water, sodium hydroxide, sugar, fragrance oil or essential oil and what type of colourant is in there such as FD&C colourant. That's my view and how I do it. All soap has to use lye,....and that, my friend, is no lie! :lol: :lol:

Back