Help! I can't stop making soap!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny

Reaction score
It's a slippery slope to say the least. I started watching my wife create these beautiful works of art that led me to follow suit. Now.... I can't stop! I rush home from work everyday to see if my loaf is ready to be removed from my mold just so I could pour another lol. Anyhow, excited to be here and learn from you all, sadly I don't have much to contribute yet but glad to be here!

Welcome! It's so lovely that your wife and you can share this fun hobby!

It makes for great bonding time with my kids as well! Well.... my daughter who's 10, my son is to young, he play's with his play doh and pretends he's doing the same lol

Believe me, friend- you are not alone!

Good to know! Is there a support group??? :D

It makes for great bonding time with my kids as well! Well.... my daughter who's 10, my son is to young, he play's with his play doh and pretends he's doing the same lol
I can't wait for those days! Mine are still too young as well. They are interested, but they need a little more coordination first.

I can't stop! I rush home from work everyday to see if my loaf is ready to be removed from my mold just so I could pour another lol.
Smack Laugh.gif
Smack Laugh.gif
Smack Laugh.gif
...um, in case you were wondering, you have found your tribe!

Welcome.gif

It's a slippery slope to say the least. I started watching my wife create these beautiful works of art that led me to follow suit. Now.... I can't stop! I rush home from work everyday to see if my loaf is ready to be removed from my mold just so I could pour another lol. Anyhow, excited to be here and learn from you all, sadly I don't have much to contribute yet but glad to be here!

Ever since I got (re)interested in soaping, I can't stop thinking of this song. And I'm not even the biggest Joni Mitchell fan around.

You must have a very mature 10-year-old daughter - one of the prime soaping directives is "no kids."

Also: I hate to tell you this, but soon you will discover "soap dough" (google it; also YT has videos) and your little boy will get in on the action. And I'll bet he can make some awesome soap creations. I look forward to seeing the pictures!

Ever since I got (re)interested in soaping, I can't stop thinking of this song. And I'm not even the biggest Joni Mitchell fan around.

You must have a very mature 10-year-old daughter - one of the prime soaping directives is "no kids."

Also: I hate to tell you this, but soon you will discover "soap dough" (google it; also YT has videos) and your little boy will get in on the action. And I'll bet he can make some awesome soap creations. I look forward to seeing the pictures!

That I can definitely attest to, my daughter is far beyond her years. Just found some soap dough which is awesome btw thank you!!!!

That I can definitely attest to, my daughter is far beyond her years. Just found some soap dough which is awesome btw thank you!!!!

"Found" - are you buying it? You don't need to. Since you're making so much soap, you can just divert some of the extra from any batter you make and use that. I found this video to be the best at explaining the process, and it's short & sweet.

PS - The only problem I have with that video is she handles the raw-ish not fully saponified dough with bare hands. Ff/when you handle soap dough, always wear gloves when you handle the stuff the next day - I didn't and I ended up with two very puckered palms! When it's saponified you're OK w/o gloves.

We're here for you, Bud! I have to go to work now but my mind is on the loaf I poured last night. I am always distracted during that long 24 hours. Have you heard of sodium lactate and gelling? I do both and unmold at 24 hours. And you're getting the next generation hooked as well, I see. My kids are grown now but were like bulls in a china shop as teens which made soaping stressful. Keep us posted and the proof is in the photos, just so you know.

"Found" - are you buying it? You don't need to. Since you're making so much soap, you can just divert some of the extra from any batter you make and use that. I found this video to be the best at explaining the process, and it's short & sweet.

PS - The only problem I have with that video is she handles the raw-ish not fully saponified dough with bare hands. Ff/when you handle soap dough, always wear gloves when you handle the stuff the next day - I didn't and I ended up with two very puckered palms! When it's saponified you're OK w/o gloves.

No no not buying anything at the moment. We've spent a small fortune on supplies, every time we think we have everything something else pops up that's really cool and almost a need to have lol,

Thank you for the info and link!

We're here for you, Bud! I have to go to work now but my mind is on the loaf I poured last night. I am always distracted during that long 24 hours. Have you heard of sodium lactate and gelling? I do both and unmold at 24 hours. And you're getting the next generation hooked as well, I see. My kids are grown now but were like bulls in a china shop as teens which made soaping stressful. Keep us posted and the proof is in the photos, just so you know.

Thanks! I have heard of both and I'm currently gelling a loaf in the oven (off with the light on) just picked up lactate so waiting for it to arrive :)

No no not buying anything at the moment. We've spent a small fortune on supplies, every time we think we have everything something else pops up that's really cool and almost a need to have lol,

Thank you for the info and link!
Thrift and dollar stores and rummage sales are your friends, Friend! I splurged on a decent stick blender and scale. Oh yeah and essential oils. And oils and butters. Stop, you're still new, there may still be time for you to turn back.

Back