Help! Homemade beezwax candle tunnelling and burning out quick!?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h.rprredfern

Reaction score
Hello!

I’ve started to learn how to make beezwax candles and attempted to make one recently. I lit the candle which looked promising. I went for a double wick and my first attempt wasn’t very good so thought doing a double wick would help burn the candle better... however it’s still not right. After about 20 mins of burning the flame started to go and and it’s left little tunnel indentations.

many advise and tips will be greatly appreciated.

best wishes

Attachments

• 3B11528A-9303-4D8B-BF18-0C110AB071AF.jpeg
    3B11528A-9303-4D8B-BF18-0C110AB071AF.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 3EB83FF0-7896-4C3C-8D76-A9F3B27E169F.jpeg
    3EB83FF0-7896-4C3C-8D76-A9F3B27E169F.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 8448873E-8F6E-452F-B526-938B7B5F3FB1.jpeg
    8448873E-8F6E-452F-B526-938B7B5F3FB1.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 11
Hello!

I’ve started to learn how to make beezwax candles and attempted to make one recently. I lit the candle which looked promising. I went for a double wick and my first attempt wasn’t very good so thought doing a double wick would help burn the candle better... however it’s still not right. After about 20 mins of burning the flame started to go and and it’s left little tunnel indentations.

many advise and tips will be greatly appreciated.

best wishes

Ok for starters you shouldnt put stuff in the wax like that as it can cause fires if it floats and gets into the wick.

Secondly it looks and sounds like you most likely dont have big enough wicks bees wax need larger wicks than most wax does. So say parafin is recommended to use an eco 6 wick for soy wax i would go up two sizes to start so eco 8 with the beeswax you need to go at least a size or 2 bigger from what i remember. Have a look round for wick guides you could have a wick thats not very good in beeswax too

Exactly what Chris said, about both the wick and the debri.
Although the extra in the wax looks nice, unless it's made out of wax, they are better suited in wickless projects so they don't cause a fire hazard.

Also the wicks are much too small for beeswax, and that is why they are tunneling.
Beeswax is a very hard wax and that means the wicks need to be able to burn hot enough to burn it all. And because of that, usually beeswax is not suited for containers. By the time the flame is hot enough to burn the wax correctly when it get to the sides of the container, the heat could cause problems and possibly shatter the glass (even if they are rated for candles)
Beeswax is just a different beast altogether.

Back