Help! Ginger too strong

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darneshiamixon

Reaction score
I made a fun Ginger, Carrot and Turmeric Soap for your face. I used homemade ginger tea as part of my lye water solution. I did a lather test and the antiseptic properties of Ginger is very strong right now on my skin. Should I expect it to become more gentle with curing since the water will evaporate?

At 3 days old it's only just finished saponifying, it needs to cure first. Try it again in a month or two. If you still don't like it in 6 months, try it again after a year.
Thank you, I will! Question, when you use something other than distilled water in your lye mixture, when the water evaporates does whatever else you used in it evaporate as well? For example if I used a coffee lye solution what is really left over after cure from the coffee? Or in my case with the ginger tea when the water evaporates will some of the gender evaporate as well? Or become less concentrated?

Thank you, I will! Question, when you use something other than distilled water in your lye mixture, when the water evaporates does whatever else you used in it evaporate as well? For example if I used a coffee lye solution what is really left over after cure from the coffee? Or in my case with the ginger tea when the water evaporates will some of the gender evaporate as well? Or become less concentrated?
Lye damages most things immediately and everything over time. If you care about a volatile element surviving, put it in a lotion or a cream, and keep it out of soap. Or, put it in a synthetic detergent and use that instead. Either way, if it's an element that doesn't change the way the soap functions, just know that putting it in soap will generally damage or destroy it. We put a lot of things in our soap for fun or color or for label appeal.

Lye damages most things immediately and everything over time. If you care about a volatile element surviving, put it in a lotion or a cream, and keep it out of soap. Or, put it in a synthetic detergent and use that instead. Either way, if it's an element that doesn't change the way the soap functions, just know that putting it in soap will generally damage or destroy it. We put a lot of things in our soap for fun or color or for label appeal.
That's really good to know! Thank you!

When water evaporates, it generally leaves behind what was in the water. That means those left-behind substances are more concentrated, not less. Again, that’s a big generalization, and as GP noted, those concentrated substances are still affected by the lye.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back