Help from New York!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brown Sugar Babe

Reaction score
Good morning! I'm new to the soaping community and super new to the forum. Hoping to get some good tips and learn a whole lot more. I'm originally from Austin Texas and have now lived in New York City for almost 7 years (whew time flies!).

How did you all get into soaping? I got into it totally by accident. I blame youtube hehe.

Edit: That should say "Hello from New York". Not Help.

Welcome! I got into soaping because my husband and I were trying to be as self-sufficient as possible. Soap was just one of the things we knew we could make from scratch. After my first batch, I was hooked!

Welcome to the forum!

I got into soaping after watching YouTube videos on how to make lip balm. I stayed in soaping after I figured out that my eczema went away.

My story is similar. I think I was looking up DIY candles or something and came across a Royalty Soaps video. There was no turning back after that haha.

Welcome! I got into soaping because my husband and I were trying to be as self-sufficient as possible. Soap was just one of the things we knew we could make from scratch. After my first batch, I was hooked!

It's so much fun! I never even knew people could make soap and now here we are :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Twenty years ago, a good friend gave me a gift of homemade soap and it's been on my bucket list forever. Wait 20 years til the kiddos grow up. Then for Christmas 2017, my wife and 2 sons and I decided to exchange only homemade gifts and I finally got motivated to make cold process soap. It wasn't too long til I went headfirst down the YouTube slide and got addicted. Only wish I would have discovered this forum months earlier. It is so rewarding to watch oil and lye turn into soap!! Good luck to you and welcome to the forum. This winter has been brutal -- today's high in the negative 20s F - and my skin is the most resilient it's been in my life and I credit my soap and lotion bars. Good lord, I could have saved a fortune on prescription creams and I have tried every single commercial lotion. Can't wait to tell my dermatologist about my miracle treatment.

Welcome, Brown Sugar Babe! flowers-smiley-emoticon.gif

I thought about learning to make soap for at least the last 5 or 10 years, but didn't get around to it until this year. Was with my S.O. at a local bookstore in December, and noticed an illustrated guide to soapmaking. Since he was still looking for things to get me for Christmas (at his own insistence), I said, "Here, if you want, get me this book." He did, and then a week later, I found this forum, starting learning more and getting inspired by all the terrific creations, and grew fond of the other SMF members. <3

I'd been thinking about making my own soap for more than a decade but was somehow frightened by the dangers of lye. Then our Sheep breeding association organized a course of making soap with sheep tallow and I became less afraid of lye. But I waited one more year for a second course and then made my first soap together with two other women who had also attended the course.
Since then I haven't bought a single bar of soap :)

Hello & Welcome!
I had an online friend who made and sold soaps. They were so beautiful, I was incredulous...you can make soap? And it can be a creative outlet??! What is this sorcery?!
Needless to say, I started down the research and YouTube path and never looked back.

Hello & Welcome!
I had an online friend who made and sold soaps. They were so beautiful, I was incredulous...you can make soap? And it can be a creative outlet??! What is this sorcery?!
Needless to say, I started down the research and YouTube path and never looked back.
Youtube is THE place to go to.
Welcome

Twenty years ago, a good friend gave me a gift of homemade soap and it's been on my bucket list forever. Wait 20 years til the kiddos grow up. Then for Christmas 2017, my wife and 2 sons and I decided to exchange only homemade gifts and I finally got motivated to make cold process soap. It wasn't too long til I went headfirst down the YouTube slide and got addicted. Only wish I would have discovered this forum months earlier. It is so rewarding to watch oil and lye turn into soap!! Good luck to you and welcome to the forum. This winter has been brutal -- today's high in the negative 20s F - and my skin is the most resilient it's been in my life and I credit my soap and lotion bars. Good lord, I could have saved a fortune on prescription creams and I have tried every single commercial lotion. Can't wait to tell my dermatologist about my miracle treatment.

You should go look at what people say on here about "soap ONLY cleans"......... hahahaha
I am so impressed to hear this

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!! I got started about 2 1/2 years ago when I was trying to be more conscious of environmental footprint, recycling, and attempting to be more zero waste. I stopped using body wash and went to bar soap, but the bar soap at the store left my skin so dry and itchy. I went to the Farmers Market and bought 2 bars of soap. When they ran out, the Farmers Market was closed for the year. So I turned to YouTube to find out how to make it myself. I haven't looked back since! 2019 is the year of the colorant for me. I have a recipe I like and I've learned to work with fragrance oils, so now its micas that I'm learning to use and attempts to make beautiful swirls and soaps.

Janelle

Back