Help for a complete newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnjitsu

Reaction score
Hello, to start I would like to apologize if this is the wrong section I figured “I’m looking for a beginner recipe” so thought I’d post here. Anyway, as you already guessed I’m new. My interest really came about because of my Jiu jitsu training, it’s a sweaty sport and boy there is some smells sometime, bacteria, fungus, you get the picture lol. I really want to start making my own for post training. Something that will clean you up, leave you refreshed, good on sensitive skin, kill any bacteria and fungus, but have no clue where to start. Any help as far as recipes or simply what types of oils to use would be greatly greatly appreciated. moved post

Go for the basics: coconut oil for lather/cleansing ( not too much or it will dry your skin - about 20%) , something for hardness and longevity (palm, cocoa or shea butter, animal fats or soy wax) some gentle liquid oils like olive, RBO, avocado, sunflower etc (about 50-60% total of these), and a wee bit of castor for creaminess ( about 5%). Check this out: https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/the-most-popular-fatty-acid-profiles-in-soapmaking/
Don't put in any colour or additives in your first batch while you are testing out your recipe. It can confuse things. Just some fragrance oil or essential oil. Maybe a tea tree, lemongrass or something fresh smelling?

Oh - and welcome! :)

Soaping101 and Soap Queen sites have beginner recipes. Here is a recipe to get you started. Be sure to run the recipe through SoapCal or The Soap Maker's Friend lye calculator to get the correct amount of water and lye for the recipe.

20% Coconut oil
30% Palm oil
45% Olive oil
5% Castor oil

Welcome, @Johnjitsu! My main recipes are variations of the previous 2 posts. I have had life-long sensitive skin which has all but disappeared since I started making and using my own soaps. Bye-bye store-bought. Have fun and keep us posted.

Thanks everyone, can’t wait to receive all my ingredients so I can get started on some soap making. The tea tree is definitely a nice one I didn’t think of thank you! Stay safe and healthy everyone! :):thumbs:

Latest posts

Back