Help FO spilled in shoes!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't like that FO, then? Sorry, couldn't resist. What I find is that when I leave the container I weigh my FO in out on the counter for a few days to allow the scent to permeate the air, it eventually dissipates. But of course, that's after emptying the contents into the soaping oils, so not a lot is left.

My point is, allow it some time to dissipate. Maybe leave the shoes out in the garage or on the back porch (if you have one) for a few days or a week and see if that helps.

I spilled a large bottle on a dresser once, stunk up the place for weeks. Could still smell it a year later. Maybe mix up a bucket of really hot water with detergent and baking soda, soak the shoes overnight if possible then run through the washer again.
It probably won't remove all the scent but it should reduce it some, then you'll just have to wait for it to fade away.

Have you tried PS80 on the oil spots and then running it through the wash? Last week I made a soap with an oil-locking mica that I premixed in RBO. Of course when I was adding the premix some got on my favorite pair of jeans. I spot treated with PS80 and then washed the jeans as normal. Can't even tell that there was mica oil spilled.

Once the shoes are completely dry, see if rubbing some cornstarch around in them absorbs some of the oil.

Latest posts

Back