Help find a book for my wife!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcit

Reaction score
Hello there,

I've joined the forum to get some help. My wife is very interested in learning to make soap for herself and her friends. I searched around and found many interesting websites and links, but I'd really love to buy her a good book to help her along.

Does anybody have a book they can recommend? She's brand new to the hobby so I'd like to find one that starts at the easy part and goes from there:)

It would be even more helpful for me, so I can find some supplies to buy her for Christmas!

Thanks for your help!

Darcy

Kathy Miller wrote the bible on making CP soap. Here is her website:http://millersoap.com/ , I am not sure what her in print book(s) are called but bet you could find them on Amazon.

Catherine Failor would be another author with loads of good info & several books on the market.

I just read "The Everything Soap Making Book" by Alicia Grosso. I really like it and learned a great deal from it. I got it from the library. :)

Thank you!

I appreciate the help. I've looked over these tips and hope to find something worth while. I'm so happy my wife found a hobby to try...I hope she enjoys it. (And me too)

Darcy

I just have to say what I'm sure several others are thinking...

You are so sweet! You're wife is very lucky!

I have a great DH, but his eyes kinda glaze over when I start with the soap talk :lol:

If you are looking for easy try 'Smart Soapmaking' by Anne Watson!
If you are looking for something a little more comprehensive then try 'Soapmaker's Companion' by Susam Miller Cavitch.

If you look on Amazon you'll find them both for very cheap -maybe get both.

I like Watson's process. It makes it easy and you'd have a hard time getting a bad batch of soap.
However I find the additional info and the quality of the soap recipes in Cavitch's book better.

So really both are good books to have :)

Smart Soapmaking is the PERFECT "first" book. I started with that one and then built on that with the others. And I'm glad I did!

Hi,
I recently bought a book that I found very useful. In my opinion it is a great beginner's & informational book for multiple styles of soaping. It's called "The Everything Soap Making Book" :lol: and the book has a list of be sites to get supplies from.

soapmaking

this is just a thought, but you might want to star her off on melt and pour soap...it is less complicated and she can enjoy her soaps as soon as they cool off! i would think it would be less of an investment to star with, and has almost guaranteed success.

you might check the hobby lobby or joann's if there is one in your area. there are many how-to books also.

i am sure our more seasoned m/p'ers could supply you with more info. most soap suppliers also have melt and pour.

you're so sweet to do this for her. make sure she gets into this forum too!

smart soapmaking is the best book that I have read. I read several of them from the library, but Smart soapmaking was the best by far. It is worth buying it. She will learn so much and the question and answer portion in the back is so helpful. The author also has a website too.

Back