Help! Fatty Acids in Liquid Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is always the "dilute the KOH with water then add the glycerin to the oils" way around that method as has been explained many times. Simply substitute equal weight of KOH with water rather than glycerin. No need to fret about heating up glycerin and KOH.
:thumbs: :thumbs:

Just as an update:

I finished reading Catherine Failor's book last night, and this morning I reviewed this thread and several others about LS.

Right now, I have my first ever batch of soap paste cooking. I'm so excited! And seeing the difference between how sodium and potassium soaps trace was incredibly fascinating.

I used the recipe I linked earlier in the thread. 70% olive oil, 20% coconut oil, 10% castor oil. 2% superfat. And thanks to you, @Zany_in_CO , I made sure to set the soapcalc numbers like you said. :)

Good for you! :thumbs:
I finished reading Catherine Failor's book last night, and this morning I reviewed this thread and several others about LS.
I hafta tell ya, I read the pertinent parts of that book 3 times before trying to make LS back in 2004. I even created a cheat sheet to follow. It was a TOTAL FAIL and I swore I would never make liquid soap again!

A year later, I ran into a liquid soap recipe on MMS that called for water:KOH at 2:1. Success! I then went back to Failor's recipes and analyzed all her water:KOH ratios in them... turned out to be 3:1. Since then, I use 3:1 because of the water loss during the cook. 2:1 also works at times, depending on oils used, but you risk the batch starting to bloat up and over the pot. If that happens, I immediately put the pot in the sink, stir it down and add cold water equal to 3:1. It's exciting to be sure. 😁

Good for you! :thumbs:

I hafta tell ya, I read the pertinent parts of that book 3 times before trying to make LS back in 2004. I even created a cheat sheet to follow. It was a TOTAL FAIL and I swore I would never make liquid soap again!

A year later, I ran into a liquid soap recipe on MMS that called for water:KOH at 2:1. Success! I then went back to Failor's recipes and analyzed all her water:KOH ratios in them... turned out to be 3:1. Since then, I use 3:1 because of the water loss during the cook. 2:1 also works at times, depending on oils used, but you risk the batch starting to bloat up and over the pot. If that happens, I immediately put the pot in the sink, stir it down and add cold water equal to 3:1. It's exciting to be sure. 😁
Wow! I certainly hope my first batch isn't a fail. I guess we'll see. :)

Latest posts

Back